Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Algae Farming...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 14 1:23 am    Post subject: Algae Farming... Reply with quote

Don't you just love it when you find someone is actioning an idea you'd been pondering for years, but would never have the capability to put together?

https://www.nasa.gov/centers/ames/research/OMEGA/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwKyW7e9NPw

Shane

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 14 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a similar vein, this was in today's paper.

(sorry - been offline for way too long)

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 14 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been research going on for a long time on the use of algae for fuel production. Not quite sure what the advantage of having floating tubes is over other methods, but the main drive has to be to get the work from effectively laboratory scale to reasonable sized production. The other thing that concerns me slightly is that contamination of other systems by the algae is avoided.

Nick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 14 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tubes keep the salt water and the fresh water apart. They provide the 'housing' for the farm. You fill them with waste water, and clean water escapes from them into the sea by osmosis.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 14 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
There has been research going on for a long time on the use of algae for fuel production.

There is, and I am frankly baffled to why it is not happening yet. Presumably it is economics, but I cannot help thinking that the economics of big business is somewhat different to the economics of the individual... except the individual probably doesn't produce enough fertilizer.
Quote:
Not quite sure what the advantage of having floating tubes is over other methods...

The reason that I thought of it was to save land area, but apparently the land based algae farms have a problem with overheating.
Quote:
The other thing that concerns me slightly is that contamination of other systems by the algae is avoided.

It is a freshwater system floating in a marine environment: the algae cannot survive if it escapes and ordinarily, they'd just pump the sewage in the sea anyway.

The video is worth listening to.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive