links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Animal fencing/netting

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 17 2:17 pm    Post subject: Animal fencing/netting Reply with quote

We're going to have to fence out the wildlife from our veg beds and as they are also in a windy location I'm looking at some of the stiffer wind mesh type stuff. Something like this: https://www.sure-green.com/products/fencing-mesh/windbreak-fencing-mesh.php

Has anyone used such netting or have a better suggestion?

We have virtually everything that's cute and fluffy, although the deer shouldn't be too much of a problem so I don't need anything too tall. The main problem at the moment are leverets which I'm not keen on controling as we don't see that many hares these days. They don't seem to be scared of much though so fencing is the only option, they don't seem to be ravenous so the plastic might do for now and plastic can be burried a few inches without it rotting.

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 17 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The absolute only thing that stopped our veg getting munched to oblivion was electric netting connected to a solar panel

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 17 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should be ok as the garden is right next to the house and we're in it all time. If we get overwhelmed I can always fill the freezer but I want to stop the odd oppertunist from making a home.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 17 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as mesh is concerned, we have had a metal chain link wire fence along our garden boundary for the last 30 years, and never had any trouble with it. The plastic will be a matter of how determined the animals are. We have put up thinner plastic deer fencing in the woods and found that the bottom is easily gnawed by animals, so needed to put rabbit net along the bottom 3 feet. That has kept virtually everything out for about 10 years.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 17 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a similar mesh for tree guards in the woodland and haven't had any problems with things nibbling through it. I would use something more robust if there were hoards of hungry critters but there aren't at the moment.

The leveret was inside the temporary netting I'd put up around the veg bed last night, but it didn't seem to be eating anything just 'there'.

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 17 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:

The leveret was inside the temporary netting I'd put up around the veg bed last night, but it didn't seem to be eating anything just 'there'.

That`s called recon,lol.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive