Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
BBC1 Inside Out Special

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Author 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 05 5:52 pm    Post subject: BBC1 Inside Out Special Reply with quote

Tonight's edition of BBC1 Inside Out Xtra features Jane Howarth (www.thehenshouse.co.uk) who is involved in the rescue and re-homing of battery hens. Should make for some interesting viewing.

The programme will be screened at 7.30 p.m.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 05 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gertie,

Did you see it. It was a repeat, mainly, of what was shown in the summer, but we had our first lot from Jane on that rescue mission.

Gertie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 05 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alison -

What an idiot I am - didn't realise it was a repeat. Did wonder when it had been filmed as Jane was sitting in a t-shirt.

I did see the programme. I actually got an e-mail from Amanda - my local contact (who I will be seeing in a couple of weeks to collect 6 hens) to tell me about the programme.

Although many of us are aware of the plight of the battery hen I was surprised to hear from Jane that these birds end up sold on cheaply to Chinese take-aways, Indian restaurants and onto suppliers of ready-meals who supply the big supermarkets.

How are your ex-battery hens doing Alison?

Tristan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 05 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this by accident, switched on and there it was. I have to say Jane Howarth comes over better on TV then in her articles.

Good to see that the battery egg content of processed food was mentioned.

Gertie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 05 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I never gave a thought to what happened to the hens - mind you, I don't eat meat anyway - not that that is an excuse to be blind to such matters.

I understand what you mean though, Tristan. This is something I have come across with other people in the past, who have a mission and don't always come over in a good light.

The one thing that is different with Jane is that at no time does she blame the farmer - she sees things not only from her own stance but that of others - which I personally admire in a person.

twoscoops

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 05 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it may only be a repeat for Westcountry viewers. We have our own Inside Out magazine programme here in the east with only local stories, and these Inside Out Extra progs are compilations of reports from many regions.

Remind me never to go on holiday to Scarborough.

Gertie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 05 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scarborough is a lovely place, normally.

So sad about the recent tragedy.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 05 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine are fine Gertie.

Out of the 125 we have now had off Jane, only two have died. One was very ill and one foxed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive