Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Bees moving in ..

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 07 1:29 pm    Post subject: Bees moving in .. Reply with quote

Hello,

Here are a few pictures from the arrival of the new "livestock" ..

The OH came back on friday evening with this in the trunk of the car:

so far nothing too worrying .. except that:

the mesh blocking the hole on top (using for a feeder, with is sugar mixed with water) is fine enough for them to have their head through .. but luck enough they can't escape !

So the hive had been set up the night before, in an idyllic spot which seems to be a very old pathway in between fields:

We can see the bit of foam that was blocking the door on the side ..

And basically the nucleus (smaller box) has to be left at the exact spot of where the hive will go .. because bees are fussy, you could move the hive within a 1 ft or so without problems, but further than that and they won't find it anymore .. and the solution is then to move the hive 3 miles away from the original spot and only then they will find it again .. so we took the easy option of setting it on top of the hive.

And the thing is crowded, the bee keeper that helped us wanted me to stand on front of the hive to take the pictures .. even though I was the only one without a suit . guess what I answerred

The thing is crowded, about 30/40 thousands bees in there .. and full capacity will reach the 50 thousands or more ..

You need to leave the nucleus to settle for a day or two, so this morning the OH should have normally moved the frames from the nucleus into the hive. Apparently you have to find the queen from the nucleus frames, and shake it gently into the hive .. she will then attract all the others once you move the rest of the frames ...

Some bees will stand in front of the hive to call the others ...

And no stings so far ...

Camile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive