Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Best time to cut down trees?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 13 6:00 pm    Post subject: Best time to cut down trees? Reply with quote

Some Ash trees overshading my veg patch and i'm going to cut them down for firewood. Is there an optimum time of year to do this?

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 13 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

winter because
dryer timber
no nesting birds
less mass and mess of leaves
can see which way they will naturally try to drop

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 13 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ this.

OtleyLad

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 13 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I was hoping that was the case. I chickened out last year and of course the shading just got worse.
Shame they are ash trees but then they grow like weeds around the garden and sprout up all over the place (and I won't be rooting them out so they'll sprout up again).

nasher1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 13 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash fantastic wood for burning (low moisture content) . Best time to cut them down is from now until February, weather permitting.

lettucewoman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 13 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they won't be growing like weeds for long sadly.... https://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=779

I think its attacking trees down here.....

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 13 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good video on here (about half way down) about how to recognise it.

https://www.forestry.gov.uk/chalara

OtleyLad

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 13 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lettucewoman wrote:
they won't be growing like weeds for long sadly.... https://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=779

I think its attacking trees down here.....

I know - that was why I was reluctant to do it. They do sprout up all over the place here though. I've nearly a dozen that I've left in the borders in the back garden that are already over 10ft tall after only 3-4 years. Maybe there's an outside chance that one of them has some resistance.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 13 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait until the leaves drop, then any time. If you don't feel confident, or there is a chance they will fall on a building, get someone is with more experience, or if close to a building, a tree surgeon.

I discussed Chelara with a Forestry Commission expert at a Tree Health meeting I went to a couple of months ago. She said that the coppice growth gets adult immunity in about 10 years. If you have Chelara near you, the best advice is to leave them, but if not, particularly if they are likely to fall before that time from butt rot, or are otherwise a real nuisance, sooner rather than later, and hope the spread is slow.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive