Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Bird Nestboxes
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 05 5:34 pm    Post subject: Bird Nestboxes Reply with quote

Just moved a nestbox as it wasn't used last year and it may be disturbed by some building work. I got a bit of a fright as there was some movement inside which I thought was a mouse. Turned out to be a roosting blue tit. It wasn't too frightened as it didn't fly far. Judging by some of the other birds in the garden today it's the time of year when they either eat or mate with what ever's in the garden.

I have a few tit nestboxes and a robin box in the trees. A family of blue tits and great tits has been raised in the last couple of years. Anyone else had any success with nest boxes? Any unusual guests?

Bugs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 05 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Obviously you will know this but it's a nice story...)

My sister has a broken window in her detached garage. It's very cold, but it is fairly dry and airy. Last winter/spring she had a robin move in, build a nest in one of those useful little wooden boxes that are the kind of things you find attached to garage walls, lay eggs, raise chicks, and fly off quite cheerfully.

The garage is also a shed, and home to the tumble dryer, so is frequently used, and the robin didn't seem to mind at all. I know they're very tolerant of humans but this seemed impressive.

I must check if she has fixed the window yet. Since Treacodactyl hasn't been round there recently that I know of, it's quite unlikely.

snowball
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 05 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago, we had blue tits nesting under the bonnet of our car.
Fortunately, my parents had two at the time so we were able to let them nest.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 05 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I went on my tractor course at RHS Rosemore we had to do a pre driving check and show various different proceedures.

When we opened up the bonnet to check the battery there was a nest with eggs in.

Shows how often they did their checks. They didn't know it was even in there, and they used the tractor all the time

Bugs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 05 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened to the nest?

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 05 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We left it. The bird didn't come back though.

On a similar note, I went to use the trailer last year and a swallow had built a nest on the dividing gate. Again with eggs

I collected the bull, bought him home, and after the clean out, I carefully parked up again. The mum came back and hatched them out.

Tristan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 05 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year we tried housemartin nest boxes as two nest had fallen off the wall the year before as there wasn't enough mud about. They were a roaring success with 5 broods from three nests. The other boxes were complete failures although they went up in January. Our neighbours have lots of birds in their boxesso I guess it is down to the cats and the fact the garden is really busy with the feeders, must be like living over a takeaway when every night is a Friday!

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 05 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That reminds me, I may need to top up the soil from the shallow end of our pond as some birds used that last year. They were'nt martins but I think several birds use some mud.

No doubt the fluffy chicken feathers will be in demand again this year.

mrsnesbitt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 05 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am i too late to put up my boxes? we had a blue tit family hatch last year..

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 05 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure, the birds are investigating them now down here I notice. I'll have a look tonight to see if there is any info. It would be worth a try if you can as they may get evicted from a current nest by another bird or preditor.

mrsnesbitt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 05 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks...will get some up later today!
Dxx

Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 05 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was exploring the RSPB site the other day and they have FAQs and aadvice on nestboxes. They say that tits "don't seriously inspect nestboxes until February or March".

I thought it could be earlier, but either way it definitely suggests it is worth a try.

Go here first...
https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/whatyoucando/nestboxsmallbird/common_questions.asp

The left hand menu has more info including how make boxes.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 05 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't put up nextboxes, as we are overun with cats, but I do feed the birds (table in the middle of the lawn - only sensible use for the lawn! and feeders in a tree out of reach) This year I've put up an onion net with dog fur in (we have enough to keep all the birds in bucks toasty warm!) although I haven't seen any yet - its a bit early for building, I suppose though.

mrsnesbitt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 05 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip about dog fur...will do the same, we have lots of that!

Tristan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 05 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We get dog fur from a friend who grooms cairns, the birds take a carrier bag full each year, it's really funny to see chaffinches with a moustache, and bluetits trying to carry off a chunk he same size as they are. I was always told that boxes should be up by Valentines day, so this weekend is ideal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive