links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Celery

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 05 4:18 pm    Post subject: Celery Reply with quote

I've only grown Chinese celery in the past. Found it to be easy, leafy, tasty, and largely pest free.

But I'd like to try other celery. What's good to grow? What's easy? What keeps well, with a long harvesting seadon?

Cheers,

Cab.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 05 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've grown it on and off for several years; the best one was last year, which was a self-blanching type (can't remember the exact variety). Very easy from seed, but not too early. Needs good fertile soil and plenty of moisture, stands until well into the autumn I have found.
The Chinese celery look interesting, I've just looked that up; might give it a go.
Another thing I have which is very worthwhile to grow is Celery Leaf - looks like an enormous celery head, but you just use the leaves - good celery taste, easy to grow, chop back in autumn. Will self-seed, and the flowers attract insects eg hoverflies. Can grow quite big, but very good for adding to soups, caseroles and cheese sandwiches.
Hope this helps.

cab

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 05 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celery leaf sounds like my kind of thing. I'll go and look into that, thanks!

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 05 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Needs good fertile soil and plenty of moisture

That rules us out with our chalky soil.

Anonymous wrote:

Another thing I have which is very worthwhile to grow is Celery Leaf - looks like an enormous celery head, but you just use the leaves - good celery taste, easy to grow, chop back in autumn. Will self-seed, and the flowers attract insects eg hoverflies. Can grow quite big, but very good for adding to soups, caseroles and cheese sandwiches.
Hope this helps.

Is this similar to lovage? Now ours is established we must start to use it in soups etc.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 05 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a similar type of plant - perennial, many leaved, but tastes of celery. Well worth growing. You can grow good celery in raised beds - I do.

cab

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 05 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest, thanks, I'll consider lovage too.

Register and I can know who to thank!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive