About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Chicken Keeping article
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 04 7:16 pm    Post subject: Chicken Keeping article Reply with quote

Tahir alerted me on the poor search results we are getting for the one.

It is another that lacks headers and is thus poorly positioned to be picked up.

Does Treacodactyl object to me doing some headers?

jema

ps) Sorry for asking publically, but I feel that threads like this can help teach people what to do for best effect.

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 04 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were no hits for cab's wild mushroom article or your meat review either, I've just added meta data to both.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 04 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
There were no hits for cab's wild mushroom article or your meat review either, I've just added meta data to both.

Wild mushrooms is another article with b'awful headers, in need of a h1 tags to give it search engine life.

jema

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 04 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meat book review is IMHO not badly done for search engines. Though a more ruthless approach to headers would help, albeit at the expense of making it worse for the human reader.

The main fault with the article is that it lacks much meat to it

jema

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 04 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think we need an example article that shows how it should be done.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 04 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
Well I think we need an example article that shows how it should be done.

Deck on a Hill is probably not too bad.

Quite a lot of keywords in the articles and quite a few keywords in headers.

though even this article could do with some work in that regard.

It also has some external links, which is meant to help.

jema

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 04 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add some headings

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 04 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've added some headings to my articles, many thanks to the people who've added tags.

Now let's see them storm up the charts.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 04 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
I've added some headings to my articles, many thanks to the people who've added tags.

Patience is very much the name of the game here, search engines need to reindex etc.

jema

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 04 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:

Just looked, and excellent work The headings are exactly what we need, they are slightely wierd in their persistant use of "chicken" but not so weird they effect the "human" view of the article meanwhile the search engine spiders should have a feast "chicken ark" etc.

jema

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 04 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like some sort of guidelines and help is needed. The articles I've written, I've been concerned with content and spelling but obviously its a whole different perspective if there are other things to consider like key words and tags for search engines. I'm going to be honest and say I'm not really sure what you're getting at. What must there be in the format of an article that works for what your trying to achieve? And is it to do with ratings? Getting the word out?

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 04 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fiddlesticks crew wrote:
sounds like some sort of guidelines and help is needed. The articles I've written, I've been concerned with content and spelling but obviously its a whole different perspective if there are other things to consider like key words and tags for search engines. I'm going to be honest and say I'm not really sure what you're getting at. What must there be in the format of an article that works for what your trying to achieve? And is it to do with ratings? Getting the word out?

It is a tricky area, and one which I don't want our valuable contributers such as yourself to end up with "writers block" as they are worried about all the technical rubbish, which is a brand of arcane knowledge, with zero life enhancing value
Any good article, can be worked over by someone in the know, and then reapproved by the author before publication.

That reworking, would be:

1) Writing "meta description" data for an article, which consists on a description, which might in practice be pretty much the same as the introduction to the article.
2) Writing "meta keywords", a list of words or phrase relevent to the article.
3) Supplying headers that concentrate on keywords. Thus the author might supply a header "Which is the best corn", the editor might make this "Which is the best corn for feeding chickens".
4) Even more arcane techniques that further distract us from the main point of making this site a great resource, and we will only be a great resource if we concentrate on the actual content.

So why do it at all? Basically because it is a Dog eat Dog world on the web, and if you don't run with the Wolves and enage in the tricks that make your site seen, then we will succeed only on the basis of "word of mouth". With several million what you might call real web sites as opposed simple home pages, competing for attention, "word of mouth" is rarely enough for a site to get to the stage where success breeds success.

I see this site as a team effort though, with people with the downsizing knowledge being the authors providing what really matters, the raw content, and people with this technical expertise then doing the authors and the site a favour, by tweaking the articles just a little, so that a lot more people will view them.

I run a web site https://www.marsjupiter.com/ and marsjupiter achieves over 50 hits a day from people finding it via a search engine. We are no where near this level yet. But each article added and optimised will have a cumalative effect, and we will I think achieve and surpass those figures

jema

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 04 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of a sudden I see 18 search engine hits on chicken keeping!

jema

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 04 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jema wrote:

And none of them are me!

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 04 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
jema wrote:

And none of them are me!

I guess a couple my be Tahir if he clicked through, but this does look a lot like quick cause and effect

jema

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Authors Corner All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive