Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Disaster - No More Damson Chutney
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

Location: Jauche, Duchy of Brabant (Bourgogne-ci) and Charolles, Duchy of Burgundy (Bourgogne-ça)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 05 1:18 pm    Post subject: Disaster - No More Damson Chutney Reply with quote

I have emptied my last jar of damson chutney! How do I survive?

The thought of a roast or even sausage and mash without damson chutney is too awful to contemplate.

I am going to have to turn vegetarian.

moggins

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 05 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thos you were lucky to have any!! All the trees I normally pick damsons from have been affected with something for the last two years. It's causing the fruit to rot on the trees and I haven't been able to find a big enough load to make chutney with

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 05 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try making some red onion marmalade, a very worthy substitute.

judith

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 05 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a large box of greengages (and possibly even some damsons) in my freezer waiting for a good home. If you fancy a quick trip to Wales, they are all yours

thos

Location: Jauche, Duchy of Brabant (Bourgogne-ci) and Charolles, Duchy of Burgundy (Bourgogne-ça)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 05 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judith wrote:
I've got a large box of greengages (and possibly even some damsons) in my freezer waiting for a good home. If you fancy a quick trip to Wales, they are all yours

Thanks for the offer. I am actually going across to the Wirral for Easter, but although a diversion to Montgomeryshire would be possible there would be no way to keep them frozen and they would probably be a bit squiffy by the time I got them back. I think Customs might be a bit bemused as well.

thos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 05 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonnyboy wrote:
Try making some red onion marmalade, a very worthy substitute.

I bought some onion jam from the school fête and found it wonderful - especially with curries. I have been trying to get the recipe. I assume that onions have no pectin so how do you get it to set?

Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 05 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thos wrote:
I bought some onion jam from the school fête and found it wonderful - especially with curries. I have been trying to get the recipe.

You didn't think we'd let you down on that one, did you Thos?

Sean's onion marmalade recipe

twoscoops

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 05 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thos, when you are making a load this year do try Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's recipe for sweet & sour damson dipping sauce. You'll never buy a stir fry sauce again.

nettie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 05 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thos, the transportation problem is easy - get Judith to make the chutney for you

judith

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 05 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send me the recipe - I'll see what I can do. It's a big responsibility mind - ensuring someone's entire eating happiness from now until the next damson season.

Gai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 05 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know just how you feel Thos. I've only got one tiny pot of marrow chutney left hiding at the back of the cupboard. If I open it then there will be none left. I keep telling myself I'm saving it for a special occasion.

thos

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 05 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judith wrote:
Send me the recipe - I'll see what I can do. It's a big responsibility mind - ensuring someone's entire eating happiness from now until the next damson season.

What a fantastic offer - thank you.

We follow Saint Delia

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/r_0000001652.asp

It is a great imposition because it is a lot of work. But if you are making it anyway and I could just take a couple of dozen jars?

mochyn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 05 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some damsons in my freezer as well, Thos, and I live near Judith. Perhaps we should get together with chutneys?! I was wondering what to make with them...

judith

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 05 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're back online Mochyn. I thought we had lost you!

The blessed Delia's recipe looks a good'un. Do you fancy pooling resources to make a batch of emergency chutney then M? I'll check exactly what I have in the freezer.

mochyn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 05 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good: have you got any cookers? Maybe we'll get together and combine resources. Just sold the last jar of 3-fruit marmalade and the last of the marrow & red pepper chutney! Need to stock up again even though there is nothing in the garden yet!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive