Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Dismantling a water pump
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 13 2:21 pm    Post subject: Dismantling a water pump Reply with quote

I would like to strip this back enough to carry it (only a small distance). But how? Can anyone help? It is supposed to be the star in a window display about water supply but it's frustrated me so far.

It's a H A Godwin Ltd pump. No 30022 Type OH1

Cathryn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 13 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it comes to it, just the fly wheel on it's own would work but it would be good to show the innards.

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 13 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fywheel will come off along its keyway,take that bolt out that goes through the Flywheel end through the shaft,

Beings its been on so long you may need pullers,but a good soak in Diesel or WG40 should do,and tap off by using a piece of hardwood and a hammer.

Nice piece.

Cathryn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 13 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see a bolt but I will go and have a look before it gets too dark.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 13 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flywheel is a good start

there may be user manuals available somehow

if you need to strip it an impact driver and /or a nut splitter could be in the toolkit along with the pullers and hammer(pad any blows and dont hit any cast iron bits) , obtain good spanners,it probably only needs a few spanners but they are likely to be whitworth or american fine sized(metric on such bolts will slip and chew) if you use a big stilson or such you will need new bolts.the manual may well have a spanner list .

a warm with a blowlamp/torch can often release old bolts ,heat the female part (or both m and f and cool the male )works best,be gentle or bits can pop or be on fire.

the soak in wd or parrafin /diesel can help a lot ,if time is not a problem the longer the soak the more chance there is of it coming loose

another good soak is cola (the cheap diet cola stuff is fine but the real thing is rather good)this dissolves many gunky and inorganic salty rusty things in machinery that oils wont

dont force anything ,if it is stuck check that is does remove the way you think it does and if it does return to loosening methods

that sort of kit was built for field maintenance so i recon you could strip and restore it if you had inclination to

a wire brush,emery cloth and wd40 is your friend when de rusting ,chemical rust removers leave pits but abrasive works from the highest surface down and any pits are minimally enlarged , gently clean pits later to retain maximum surface

Cathryn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 13 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything unscrews very easily. It has been well maintained but nothing seems to unscrew to take the fly wheel off. There isn't a bolt in the end. There is probably a grub nut but it's too tiny to see. Will it make a difference if I remove all the nuts I can? Will bits of it then come apart?

It looks a bit too complicated in the end. I have a stirrup pump, a borehole pump and modern thing for pumping water out of a butt. Probably a H&S nightmare in a shop window but I am just trying it out.

The big cast iron flywheel would definitely have been the thing.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 13 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a 4 leg puller after a soak and a bit of a warm might be the thing

a wire brush is the tool to seek any hidden grubs but once the bolt is out it looks like it should slide off

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 13 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if there is any hint of a big thread between wheel and shaft it will unscrew against the working direction. for this you will need to find and fix the other end of the shaft

but it does look to be a slide fit

Cathryn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 13 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is a slide fit. I might have another go in daylight.

In the meantime, the old kitchen is now awash. The other pump works (well it should do as it was brand new) and Jack is now planning on some kind of loop system so water can circulate around. Pumps and water and he cannot resist. I am going to check that my area manager isn't popping up for a visit any time soon.

Not sure where my plans for a slick professional looking window went.

stumbling goat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 13 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.godwinpumps.com/en/index.php/contact

May be able to help you?

or contact this person on youtube as another option?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25KXywv0Qeo

sg

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 13 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be me eyes,so the bolt i thought i could see is a grub bolt with a lock nut,this will have to be removed before flywheel will slide off.

Cathryn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 13 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I know the bolt you mean. It undoes easily but the wheel doesn't move and we were reluctant to hit freezing cold cast iron too hard.

Nick

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 13 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you been on some sort of course?

Cathryn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 13 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shut up, it's nice to feel at one with your organisation. I'm trying to save the world now. The NHS is a lost cause.

vegplot

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 13 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cathryn wrote:
No, I know the bolt you mean. It undoes easily but the wheel doesn't move and we were reluctant to hit freezing cold cast iron too hard.

It'll break the cast iron if you're not careful. Flywheels can be a sod to remove. A blow lamp on the hub can help shift things along with a puller.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive