Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Electric dog collar for training

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 04 8:48 am    Post subject: Electric dog collar for training Reply with quote

Would anyone have one that I could borrow for a couple of weeks please?
I have an 8 yr old GSP who is well trained in obedience and for shooting. However she has developed a habit of not returning to me on my recall whistle/shout particularly when she is quite a distance away. Thought I would try electric collar, as a reminder that I am still in-charge, even when she can't see me.
I will pay for post & a little more.

Wombat

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 04 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without starting down the should/shouldn't use 'em route, have you tried contacting one of the gundog trainers in the shooting press? I get the Shooting Times and I know DS recommends Sporting Shooter (I think ). The ST has a problem and answer section so if you have a specific problem it may be worth sending in a question. If you would like the address PM me and I can keep a look out for any reply and send it to you.

I've never seen a collar used, the OH generally does what I ask.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 04 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not recomend an electric dog collar to anyone as it can injure the dog if used incorrectley the best option is a spray collar that just sprays air at them when you push the button on the remote control i use these myself to good effect

joker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 04 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry that was me forgot to log in

Bugs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 04 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
I've never seen a collar used, the OH generally does what I ask.

Oi! That's the last time *you* get to sleep on my feet!

Gervase

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 04 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fellow shot on my local shoot used one, and it worked up to a point. It stopped his springer from running in, but it seemed to traumatise the poor beast quite a bit. I don't know if the voltage is adjustable, or if wet conditions make it worse, but after seeing the effect on the dog I wouldn't be keen.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 04 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electric collars - although useful in their place, and great in the hands of experience, are also a tool of torture, and can cause serious damage and upset to a dog. There is no denying they work, but can cause confusion.
The best way to deal with your dog, especially if it has got into sloppy ways ( should have been dealt with as soon as the dog started really! ), is to attatch a long line to its collar, let it range far enough , then on the recall, yank the rope as a reminder to come back immediatley, do this a few times and its suprising how the recall returns to memory.
GSP's do and can have 'selective hearing' if allowed, in many cases its not the dog at fault but the owner for not clamping down as soon as the problem was noticed. Like I say try the line first, before you try drastic measures on a dog , especially of this age.
The dog doctor.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive