About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Email

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 05 12:33 pm    Post subject: Email Reply with quote

Afternoon y'all,
My friend has just got Broadband from BT but it transpires it is only for internet use and does not give him and email addy, Firstly, is this common? and secondly, whats the best way of him getting an email account other than webmail but that doesn't charge him more money then he is spending for the Broadband. He was with AOL dialup but when he cancels that he presumes he is going to lose his current email.
Ta in advance.

bagpuss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 05 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of webmails which offer good service without charging

IMHO gmail is currently the best it offers more than 2GB of storage and comes with spam filtering and is free from popup ads. You can also use programs such as outlook to download your email so you don't have to only get it using a webbrowser

Google does similar advertising to what we see on the forum on the basis of your emails

Gmail is currently an invite only serivce but isnoop has loads to offer or if he really needs one you can pm me and I can set something up

for other webmail serivces just put free webmail into a search engine and you will be pointed at lots of services offering varying level of features either for free or for a price

dougal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 05 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Email Reply with quote

monkey1973 wrote:
Afternoon y'all,
My friend has just got Broadband from BT but it transpires it is only for internet use {presumed to mean access-only} and does not give him and email addy, Firstly, is this common? ...

I've never heard of such a thing in a BT *retail* product.
Is there a link to a page describing the deal he has signed up for?
The usual btopenworld deal involves 11 individually named and individually accessible mailboxes... (IIRC 10 names can be chosen, 1 is preset and relates to your login (account) name)
Its not that he's trying to still use his AOL software is it?

joanne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 05 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Email Reply with quote

dougal wrote:

I've never heard of such a thing in a BT *retail* product.
Is there a link to a page describing the deal he has signed up for?

Thats exactly how my broadband works - its the bare bones product - in my case it was fine as I already had a freeserve email account and didn't want to change my e-mail address.

I agree with Bagpuss - Gmail is excellent and best of all free - it also has lots of options for downloading the mail into outlook or thunderbird

Apparantly there are now 5 million broadband connections in the UK

Joanne

ross

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 05 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yahoo Mail is free, soon to be 1GB disk space and you can either use as webmail, or activate it so that you can use it as POP mail via Outlook Express or whatever mail programme you want.

Silas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 05 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course he has an email facility with BT, all he has to do is set up an account.

monkey1973

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 05 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silas wrote:
Of course he has an email facility with BT, all he has to do is set up an account.

I presumed the same when he showed me his logon which was something along the lines of name@btbroadband.co.uk but when I reviewed the BT help files it stated that the Broadband Basic was an internet package only.

How would I setup an account?

dougal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 05 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Email Reply with quote

jocorless wrote:
..Thats exactly how my broadband works - its the bare bones product ...
But I didn't think that **BT** (see original post) offered such a product to retail domestic customers. Do they? Show me!

Mat S

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 05 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ross wrote:
Yahoo Mail is free, soon to be 1GB disk space and you can either use as webmail, or activate it so that you can use it as POP mail via Outlook Express or whatever mail programme you want.

I don't think they offer pop3 access for free - not last time I looked anyway.

Correction - here's the choice they offer

"Yes I want to use mail forwarding and POP access. Please contact me occasionally about special offers, promotions and Yahoo! features. To learn more about Yahoo!'s use of personal information, please read the Yahoo! Privacy Policy.

No I won't be using mail forwarding or POP at this time. Please do not send special offers, discounts or promotions to my Yahoo! Mailbox"

So, basically they'll spam you if you sign up for pop3. No ta.

Last edited by Mat S on Mon Apr 04, 05 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

joanne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 05 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Email Reply with quote

dougal wrote:
But I didn't think that **BT** (see original post) offered such a product to retail domestic customers. Do they? Show me!

Mmm - interesting they used to (I've had Broadband for over 12 months) but don't appear to now

I'd ask BT what the crack is

Joanne

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive