Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Fitting a mantel on top of a fireplace

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 14 5:22 pm    Post subject: Fitting a mantel on top of a fireplace Reply with quote

We have a stone fireplace. Yesterday Mrs JB managed to land the mantel on top of her while cleaning out the grate (not sure how and even she admits she's not sure how). It's intact so we can put it back but it looks as though it was only ever held on but resting on top with a thin layer of mortar to secure it. Should there be something more solid to anchor a mantel to the top of a fireplace? I know when I replaced the fire surround at my last house the surround itself was bolted to the wall with a couple of brackets, should there be a similar arrangement for the mantel?

Bodrighy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 14 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that mantel;s are, as you say usually bolted onto the wall with brackets which is covered with appropriate material to hide them. Hope the boss is OK and only startled.

Pete

Lloyd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 14 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put threaded bar into the wall, and drilled the back of the mantel so it slid over the bar.

mochyn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 14 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always seen brackets.

onemanband

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 14 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wot everyone else said.
Also it raises the question of whether the rest of fire surround is secured properly ?

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 14 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope she is all right.

The 'fireplace' round the gas fire (removed at our request by the previous owners) in our present house consisted of piled up bricks with a lick of mortar in odd places. We dismantled it by just picking up the bricks. They weren't even laid as a normal wall but just piled one on top of the other in some places. Also had various shelves made of scaffold planks that tilted towards the front. One of the rules seems to be that the people that had the place before you didn't do things properly/couldn't decorate properly/had awful colour taste.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 14 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fixed is best as mentioned drilled for bars/adhesive is a tidy method

brackets can be hidden in the plaster or huge ornate things

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive