Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Flue Liners

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 13 11:21 pm    Post subject: Flue Liners Reply with quote

I thought searching out the most suitable multifuel stove was bad enough,but this flue liner business is even more of a minefield,
There are 2 grades 316 and a 904,the first has a 10 yr guarantee and the latter a 20 yr guarantee,simple i thought,get the better grade.

All but one of the 8 companies i contacted stated the 316 grade was suffice for a 6kh stove,and no need for a 904,unless one has a boiler/central heating stove,one even stated the 316 grade is better than most 904 `s,as a lot of them come from China.

One stove fitter and sweep recommended a 904 grade made by Docherty,as the best on the market,so a bit more searching,i found a link to a site called,Homemade Life Forum,and one stove fitter there,stated that Docherty liners usually come damaged,
Noticed a regular here,on there back in 2010 asking questions regarding flue liners,don`t know if you found the answer,but i`m still no further forward.

Any help or advice,experience anyone?

Woodburner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 13 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That might have been me. In the end, I kind of figured I was being 'sold something' that I didn't really need. None of the coal fires I had ever seen used were likely to be any different from mine, and coal is worse for chimney innards than wood, so why would they need lining for wood when they were fine with coal?

vegplot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 13 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodburner wrote:
That might have been me. In the end, I kind of figured I was being 'sold something' that I didn't really need. None of the coal fires I had ever seen used were likely to be any different from mine, and coal is worse for chimney innards than wood, so why would they need lining for wood when they were fine with coal?

Wood generates creosote quantities varies on quality of wood burned. The effect it has on the chimney varies with flue diameter and temperature. All flues benefit from being re-lined periodically.

vegplot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 13 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Flue Liners Reply with quote

Ty Gwyn wrote:
I thought searching out the most suitable multifuel stove was bad enough,but this flue liner business is even more of a minefield,
There are 2 grades 316 and a 904,the first has a 10 yr guarantee and the latter a 20 yr guarantee,simple i thought,get the better grade.

All but one of the 8 companies i contacted stated the 316 grade was suffice for a 6kh stove,and no need for a 904,unless one has a boiler/central heating stove,one even stated the 316 grade is better than most 904 `s,as a lot of them come from China.

One stove fitter and sweep recommended a 904 grade made by Docherty,as the best on the market,so a bit more searching,i found a link to a site called,Homemade Life Forum,and one stove fitter there,stated that Docherty liners usually come damaged,
Noticed a regular here,on there back in 2010 asking questions regarding flue liners,don`t know if you found the answer,but i`m still no further forward.

Compare stainless with injected cement systems or ceramic inserts.

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 13 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodburner wrote:

Not you Woodburner,this one had long ginger hair,and a bit apeish,lol

Regarding tar in wood,housecoal/coking coal is very high in tar content also,if not more so.

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 13 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Flue Liners Reply with quote

vegplot wrote:
Ty Gwyn wrote:

Compare stainless with injected cement systems or ceramic inserts.

Have ruled out the latter 2 before even thinking about lining the flue,cost being one factor,the other being that the flue could not be reverted back to openfire,by another occupier of the house.

If it was`nt for the depth of the pine end,the original pine end ,plus the newer[80 plus yrs back] chimney breast built on the inside,i would have set a lintel in the chimney to receive the flue pipe from the stove and place a soot box on the outside,but my only option is to line the flue,and steel is the way i need to go,hence the confusion between the different grades and their prices and qualities.
For those that have steel lined their flue`s for thei multi fuel stoves,which type of steel liner did you use,and more importantly,how long has it been in place without any problem.

perlogalism

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 13 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Flue Liners Reply with quote

Ty Gwyn wrote:

For those that have steel lined their flue`s for thei multi fuel stoves,which type of steel liner did you use,and more importantly,how long has it been in place without any problem.

I went for the 316 grade and have lined 3 out of my 4 flue's. The oldest one is ~ 6 years now and no apparent problems (not that I'd expect any!). The logburners are our only source of heat so they get lots of use though.

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 13 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Perlogalism,
That`s the kind of info i`m looking for,any reason other than price for choosing the 316 over the more expensive 904?

Saying that,i had one stove supplier quote more for a 316 than the 904,which has double the guarantee.

What make of liner did you use,or which supplier provided the liner?

perlogalism

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 13 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told that the 316 was fine for wood and "normal" house coal. The 904 was for "alternative" fuels

We used Fluesystems.com for all 3 installations. Good price, good communication, good advice and quick delivery.

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 13 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perlogalism wrote:
I was told that the 316 was fine for wood and "normal" house coal. The 904 was for "alternative" fuels

We used Fluesystems.com for all 3 installations. Good price, good communication, good advice and quick delivery.

That`s were all the bull hide`s the reality,

Normal Housecoal is an openfire product,not for Wood/multi fuel systems,or rayburns and the like for that matter,as its tar content and impurities is the killer of metal flue liners.

I`ve been told that the 316 is OK for lower kw stoves ,[a 6kw is what i`m installing],and wood burning,but for use of coal[Anthracite or Steam]and more than just occasional use,a 904 is recommended which has a 20yr guarantee,but others say a 316 is suffice.

I will have a look at Fluesystems.com to see what they say,i have read so many,i may have already read theirs.

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 13 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was an excellent site Perlogalism,good info,quality UK made liners,and half the price of some quotes i have had,
Phoned this morning to query a few things,very helpful and straight talk,none of the bull that i have had from others.

Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

perlogalism

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 13 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem TG. Glad to help

PM me if you're ever going to be in the area. What with Pigs & Wood burners, it sounds like we may have a few things to discuss over a cuppa

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 13 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perlogalism wrote:
No problem TG. Glad to help

PM me if you're ever going to be in the area. What with Pigs & Wood burners, it sounds like we may have a few things to discuss over a cuppa

Thank you for the offer,one never know`s,

Likewise also if your down this area.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive