Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Food price reduced

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Author 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 14 11:25 am    Post subject: Food price reduced  Reply with quote    

In our local Co-op at around 7pm most evenings, the staff put out a trolley of reduced priced food - food that is coming up to its best before date. Bread 10p loaf, half Cucumbers 13p, belly rashers 34p, Onions 13p a bag of 12 - 15, small pork pies 35p for a pack of 6. Lots more items these are just a few I remember, Its worth finding out if your local Co-op are doing anything similar - makes the shopping money go a little further for food that has nothing wrong with it as long as you plan to eat it within a few days.

oldish chris

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 14 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

well spotted. apparently quite a few supermarkets have similar policies. My local Coop tends to get over-supplied with the latest special introductory offer. 3 days later it can be found reduced to 1/3rd of the special price. Keeps the freezer nicely filled!

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 14 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I think I'll have a trip up to our local Co-op, see if they are doing the same thing. Thanks for the heads up.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 14 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

most supermarkets have a "casualty corner" and "get it now before we bin it"section

if you work out the time they are stocked(usually about an hour before closing) and use eyes/nose/common sense good food can be had at a below profit price.

or target the skips for real bargains(this requires skill and tact)but can feed a tribe

OtleyLad

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 14 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Surprisingly the Waitrose here has the best bargains in town. They put red stickers on reduced stuff that I can now spot an aisle away.
We often get joints of Beef (Organic too) that were on sale at 12-13 for as little as 3 or 4. Pizzas for 1, etc. Our freezer is full of such bargains.

Rob R

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 14 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

And you wonder why the farmers approaching you are not best pleased...

(Totally with you on Waitrose, btw, if you need a supermarket, that's the top choice)

Nick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 14 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

OtleyLad wrote:
Surprisingly the Waitrose here has the best bargains in town. They put red stickers on reduced stuff that I can now spot an aisle away.
We often get joints of Beef (Organic too) that were on sale at 12-13 for as little as 3 or 4. Pizzas for 1, etc. Our freezer is full of such bargains.

Let's hope the freezer is reliable and not, say, unplugged and ignored.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 14 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Nick wrote:
OtleyLad wrote:

Let's hope the freezer is reliable and not, say, unplugged and ignored.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive