Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Forage on the allotment

Author 

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 05 11:32 am    Post subject: Forage on the allotment Reply with quote

Thus far, I've 'foraged' from the plot:

Wild rocket
Chickweed
Hawthorn
Fat Hen
Dandelion
Horseradish

And new this morning, when popping down to water the celery, I spotted some salsify that had seeded itself onto the path!

That's got me well chuffed. I'll definitely be saving some seed from that.

Andy B

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 05 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Forage on the allotment Reply with quote

cab wrote:
Thus far, I've 'foraged' from the plot:

Wild rocket
Chickweed
Hawthorn
Fat Hen
Dandelion
Horseradish

And new this morning, when popping down to water the celery, I spotted some salsify that had seeded itself onto the path!

That's got me well chuffed. I'll definitely be saving some seed from that.

I wonder what the rest of the plot holder think of you.

cab

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 05 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Forage on the allotment Reply with quote

Andy B wrote:

I wonder what the rest of the plot holder think of you.

The guy on one side thinks I'm mad because I'm trying to grow celery. The guy on the other side thinks I'm allright and seems interested in the edible weeding, but he's a fellow of Trinity College and lectures at the Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics, making him a colleague of Stephen Hawking and, like all mathematicians he's almost certainly an eccentric The lady two plots down that way is a treasure, so very enthusiastic and seems to like everyone.

Rememer, my allotment is in Cambridge. Ordinary rules of sanity don't apply

nettie

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 05 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got chickweed, fat hen, hawthorn, blackthorn, and a nettle patch which I've just strimmed and am waiting for new shoots. PLus there are loads of potato plants sprouting up in the compost heap so I might have to dig those out.

Also a rather sweet little brown snake with a thin black stripe on his side. I'm not good on snakes, what could he be?

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 05 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nettie wrote:

Also a rather sweet little brown snake with a thin black stripe on his side. I'm not good on snakes, what could he be?

A slow-worm?

nettie

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 05 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, Sean, now you come to mention it I reckon he could be. About 20cm long and sort of shiny?

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 05 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything like the pic on the third page of here?:

https://forum.downsizer.net/about3432.html

nettie

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 05 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, just like that. You are a clever boy

ButteryHOLsomeness

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 05 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i finally foraged some chickweed from the walk along my way home... tasted pretty 'green' a bit like mustard leaves and then it had this weird and strong twang to it about halfway through chewing... is that normal? if so i have to say i'm not fond of it which would be a shame we have an area carpeted with the stuff

cab

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 05 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ButteryHOLsomeness wrote:
i finally foraged some chickweed from the walk along my way home... tasted pretty 'green' a bit like mustard leaves and then it had this weird and strong twang to it about halfway through chewing... is that normal? if so i have to say i'm not fond of it which would be a shame we have an area carpeted with the stuff

I describe the taste as being not unlike a cross between cress and beetroot, with a sharp aftertaste. Odd thing is that if I put it in a salad bowl for a dinner do I find that peopel pick it out and eat it, leaving home grown lettuce, sorrel and rocket behind!

nettie

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 05 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the taste of chickweed much nicer earlier in the year, before it's gone mad with the flowering. We see it around here about the end of Feb.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive