Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Forest of Dean - group seeking public enquiry - petition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 14 8:08 pm    Post subject: Forest of Dean - group seeking public enquiry - petition Reply with quote

Hi folks,
Another 38 degrees petition
https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/save-wildlife-and-national-forest-from-major-development

Regarding a planning application that was granted consent today for development of a wildlife rich area in the Forest of Dean. The protest group

https://m.facebook.com/DeanNaturalAlliance

are trying to get Eric Pickles to hold a public enquiry. You can read more details about it on their Facebook group and their website.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 14 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naughty corner pickles grrr grrr grrr

do they need a crusty rather than a petition ?

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 14 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the development on the site of the Eastern or Northern United Colliery sites?
If its the one i`m thinking of,this wrangle has been going on for a few years,last time i was on that site there were one or 2 businesses going in the buildings,but the majority were empty and abandoned by the rubbish left there.

Mutton

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 14 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the area well enough to tell you the answer in terms of your question but I think you could see very quickly via the links.
There is certainly mention of coal.
There are plans for considerable building and road laying and this includes the first ever attempt to relocate a bat maternity roost - and no idea whether it will succeed. One of the rarer bats too.

Other than that it IS a current planning application which was given permission YESTERDAY - 14th November. So while wrangling may have been going on for years, this seems pretty urgent to me.

buzzy

Location: In a small wood on the edge of the Huntingdonshire Wolds
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 14 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mutton wrote:
I don't know the area well enough to tell you the answer in terms of your question but I think you could see very quickly via the links.
There is certainly mention of coal.
There are plans for considerable building and road laying and this includes the first ever attempt to relocate a bat maternity roost - and no idea whether it will succeed. One of the rarer bats too.

Other than that it IS a current planning application which was given permission YESTERDAY - 14th November. So while wrangling may have been going on for years, this seems pretty urgent to me.

First ever attempt to relocate a bat maternity roost? Somebody has got their facts muddled.

Henry

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 14 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble with building a bat roost is will the bats use it?

Mutton

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 14 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzy wrote:

First ever attempt to relocate a bat maternity roost? Somebody has got their facts muddled.

Henry

First ever was my words - I wrote from memory and experimental became first ever.

On the link further up the thread, for the petition, the text includes

"Over 1,300 species have been recorded there, the breeding and feeding grounds for many EU and Nationally protected species. There is a Lesser Horseshoe Bat maternity roost vital to the maintenance of the Wye Valley and Forest of Dean Bat Special Area of Conservation (SAC)"

and then
"The Wye Valley and Forest of Dean Bat SAC is one of the most important areas in the UK for lesser horseshoe bats containing 26% of the national population and is cross boundary with Wales. Yet it is to be subjected to the experimental manoeuvre of attempting to relocate a large maternity roost, vital to the maintenance of the SAC and to demolish an existing maternity roost."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive