Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Freezing rowans and elderberries??????

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 05 7:30 pm    Post subject: Freezing rowans and elderberries?????? Reply with quote

Quick question,

Is it OK to freeze rowan / elderberries on the stalks in anticipation of actually having time to process them at a later date?

Should they be washed before freezing?

cab

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 05 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd only wash them if they're really dirty; as you're likely to give them a good cooking, I'd personally not wash them.

I'd be tempted to get them off the stalks first, as they'll be mushier after defrosting, and that'll make getting them off a colourful and wasteful process

whitelegg1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 05 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks..

I did a bit of web searching last night, on a homebrew site, it said it was OK th freeze on the stalks, then to stip the berries off with a fork whilst they are still frozen, (gets round the mushy problem).

Since they are going to be well cooked when defrosted the mushyness is no longer aproblem then.

At least now I can do 5 mins picking on my way home on the bike, and still be home in time for the kids bathtime!!

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 05 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cab wrote:
I'd only wash them if they're really dirty; as you're likely to give them a good cooking, I'd personally not wash them.

I'd be tempted to get them off the stalks first, as they'll be mushier after defrosting, and that'll make getting them off a colourful and wasteful process

I froze a few elderberries last year, and found this to be a very true point.

cab

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 05 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitelegg1 wrote:
Thanks..

I did a bit of web searching last night, on a homebrew site, it said it was OK th freeze on the stalks, then to stip the berries off with a fork whilst they are still frozen, (gets round the mushy problem).

Since they are going to be well cooked when defrosted the mushyness is no longer aproblem then.

At least now I can do 5 mins picking on my way home on the bike, and still be home in time for the kids bathtime!!

Well you COULD try to get them off while on the stalks, but I think you're on to a hiding. If you can find a nice cold place to strip them off you might manage it, but otherwise they'll be trying to defrost and stain you the whole time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive