Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Goose roasting times

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 04 12:23 pm    Post subject: Goose roasting times Reply with quote

I'm about to go off and pick up our goose. An eighteen pounder this year.

I'll be saving the offal for a terrine, and I'll be doing a confit with the legs.

Normally I tend to roast goose slowly at first, hot later on to crisp the skin a bit. Obviously, I'll need to decant the fat off a couple of times. Goose is well and truly moist, even at the worst of times, so to overcook it and have it go dry is pretty damned difficult.

Any hints on how long I'm -meant- to roast my goose for? What temperature?

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 04 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time we have cooked Goose, so we will be watching the responses here with interest

jema

twoscoops

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 04 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link Tahir posted on RC stated 220c, so this may be high enough to melt much of the fat, but it may need to be covered with foil to stop it burning the skin on top (?). I shall be cooking two, on for my Mum, where I'm spending Christmas day, and one for me!!

Does anybody season thier goose before roasting? Also, My geese will have giblets, so what bits go into the terrine?

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 04 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's Her Maj's Governments website so I can't vouch for the authenticity of anything on there, obviously someone who's cooked their own goose would be better...

cab

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 04 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twoscoops wrote:
Also, My geese will have giblets, so what bits go into the terrine?

Do you have HFW's 'River Cottage Year'? The recipe in there for terrine made with goose giblets is very good.

twoscoops

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 04 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do, so will take a look tonight. What are the giblets anyway? Liver, heart and gizzard?

cab

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 04 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heart, liver, gizzard, neck if you want to include that as a giblet.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 04 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roughly speaking the cooking time I use is:
30 minutes at 220C
Plus 20 minutes per 500g at 180C
This is after the pricking the skin and pouring over boiling water treatment. Make sure you let the bird dry thoroughly before starting to cook. If you are eating at lunchtime I'd do the boiling water bit the evening before.
These times are for a conventional oven. Use your skill and judgement, and remember that like most roasts a good long rest is handy. The skin will stay crisp anyway.

bimini

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 04 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cab wrote:

Do you have HFW's 'River Cottage Year'?

I am following HFWs 3 goose recipes. I've just stuffed my neck.. it looks really good (IMHO!! ) This will be our first course.

The legs are covered in salt etc ready for confitting.

My query is about the roast breast. HFW says 50 mins at 220 C. Is this long enough? Does it depend on weight of goose? Will there be enough breast for 4 adults and 2 kids? Will we need to eat the legs to ensure enough meat, or can we store these till later?

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive