Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Insulating the outside of a single brick skin building

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 13 12:36 pm    Post subject: Insulating the outside of a single brick skin building Reply with quote

Hoping that someone can give me some suggestions please?

I have a single brick skin building that I wish to make better insulated against the cold. Currently it is timber clad. It has rounded ends.

Once I have stripped off the timber cladding I am hoping to find a way to insulate it with at least 2"/50mm celotex or similar, more if I can and then reclad it in timber, or coloured UPVc cladding. I also have to work out a way of accommodating the inward opening door. That may be got around with a steel frame fixed to the existing brick door surround?

Is there some art of aluminium fixing that I can use to fix to the single brick skin that will then take an anchor for the new cladding? Or will I have to think again and maybe insulate the inside? That would be easier but I would lose valuable space from an already small room.

sg

Nature'sgrafter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 13 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

something like this https://www.jewson.co.uk/building-materials/thermal-insulation/multi-foils-insulation/products/IYSQ1410/ybs-superquilt-multi-layered-foil-insulation-10-x-15m/
is what you need stapled onto existing timber frame add thin batten on top to fix your cladding onto job done.

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 13 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one question i would ask before you spend is,

Has it got a damp course,wall and floor.?

onemanband

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 13 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly questions ? ........
Will your roof overhang allow for extra 2 inches ?
Why do you need to move door ?

stumbling goat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 13 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not silly questions at all OMB.

The roof issue is not a problem. It is all under a huge canopy.

The DPM is an issue but as I can not control that or affect it I have to accept that it may be compromised. That said, I shall leave it off the ground by 100mm, so the brisk skin is on footings, but the outer covering will be floating by 100mm ish.

sg

onemanband

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 13 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got plenty roof overhang, what about building a seperate outer leaf instead of using batons?
2 courses of brick, then dpc, then 4X2 sole plate, then stud wall and cladding.
It's cladding not a load bearing wall so footings for brickwork can be minimal.
Provide lateral restraint to stud wall with metal straps and/or fit 4X2 head plate to canopy.

I don't deal with timber cavity walls so can't comment on vapour barriers and insulation methods.

boisdevie1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 13 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

onemanband wrote:
If you've got plenty roof overhang, what about building a seperate outer leaf instead of using batons?
Provide lateral restraint to stud wall with metal straps and/or fit 4X2 head plate to canopy.

I don't deal with timber cavity walls so can't comment on vapour barriers and insulation methods.

That's overkill. You don't need brick. The roof is already supported so you just need a skin of insulation, waterproof membrane and then something decorative (T and G) to hide it all.

onemanband

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 13 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boisdevie1 wrote:
onemanband wrote:

That's overkill. You don't need brick. The roof is already supported so you just need a skin of insulation, waterproof membrane and then something decorative (T and G) to hide it all.

I wasn't suggesting supporting the roof.
The 2 courses of brickwork (not a full height brick wall, just 2 courses above ground) are a suitable material to have in contact with the ground and will fill the 100mm gap SG mentioned. This would provide means of incorporating a dpc, eliminate a cold spot caused by starting cladding and insulation 100mm up, and probably look better than a gap under cladding or cladding touching the ground.
A separate outer leaf will enable fitment of more insulation, provide a cavity and eliminate cold bridging.
More work - yes
Overkill - I'd say no - but that's coming from someone whose just built a garden wall 1 foot thick, 8 foot high.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive