Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Is it a bit cold to try sea fishing?

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 12 9:29 am    Post subject: Is it a bit cold to try sea fishing? Reply with quote

I'm off to SFX Weekender tomorrow in not so sunny Prestatyn. Hooray - a whole weekend of drinking with Brian Blessed!

OH and I thought we'd take our newly acquired rods with us and try fishing for mackerel from a nearby coastal location... we have time tomorrow and on Sunday. We are newbies, but I just acquired a lovely Shakespeare rod for much cheapness.

Dreading the utter cold though. Good idea?

welsh veg grower

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 12 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH was out on his kayack the other weekend fishing. You may need a dry suit like him mind, brrrr standing still can be rather cold by the side of water, I sit in the car myself

wishus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 12 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking wellies, kagoul and fleece, and the spare clothes from our luggage will be in the car with us. Hopefully will have more than my going-out frock left.

Mafro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 12 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's far too cold to be fishing for mackerel from the beaches at the moment, but its a superb time of year for cod, whiting, pouting and bass.

Worm baits would be a good bet, as would squid or strips of mackerel.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on

Northern Boy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 12 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was out on Swansea West pier late last night fishing for whiting and it was very, very cold. I am addicted to fishing but even so I wasn't having much fun and packed it in early.

You are extremely unlikely to catch mackerel at this time of year!

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 12 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

worm bait ,just off the bottom in at least 3m of water is a fair point to try at these temps .wrap up well

Nick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 12 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember pollack bashing in the snow.

Colin & Jan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 12 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if Preystatyn beaches are noted for Dabs but this is the time of year for them in the SE. This cold snap will have greatly improved the fishing and now that the shooting season has finished I will be giving it a go in the next week or so.

Small, long shanked hooks with lugworm tipped with sprat or squid is the accepted bait. Some people, myself included, add coloured beads above the hook as attractors but I'm not totally convinced they are necessary. At times you only need to cast 10-20 metres to find them. Last year bags of 30-40 fish per session were not uncommon with 10-15 keeper sized fish.

I think they are a super eating fish; lightly fried in a little butter.

Northern Boy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 12 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin & Jan wrote:
Not sure if Preystatyn beaches are noted for Dabs but this is the time of year for them in the SE. This cold snap will have greatly improved the fishing and now that the shooting season has finished I will be giving it a go in the next week or so.

Small, long shanked hooks with lugworm tipped with sprat or squid is the accepted bait. Some people, myself included, add coloured beads above the hook as attractors but I'm not totally convinced they are necessary. At times you only need to cast 10-20 metres to find them. Last year bags of 30-40 fish per session were not uncommon with 10-15 keeper sized fish.

I think they are a super eating fish; lightly fried in a little butter.

I agree, Dabs are Delicious.

wishus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 12 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - there is video evidence on my OH's phone of me being rubbish at casting out.

Did get better though...

The sea was very very cold indeed - but it just so happened that North Wales was one place that escaped the snow this weekend, so not so bad. My feet got wet and were in pain with cold, but I could hardly stop, despite the fact I knew catching anything but a cold was pretty unlikely. I clambered - and fell - on the rocks. I waded out into the waves. I caught a piece of seaweed and an empty shell. No fishies.

Big pain was I lost a couple of lures and weights snagged on rocks. Total cost to me - £5. My Dad says I should have used breakaways. I know nothing, but shall learn.

wishus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 12 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh - didn't get to go drinking with Brian Blessed... but I did get to perform comedy and poetry on a stage before hundreds of people - not long before the same stage was graced by Hattie Hayridge and Norman Lovett (so didn't support them in the slightest, but hey, almost the same...)

A few people came up to me after and said some nice complimentary things. Didn't have to fish for those.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive