Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Killing squid etc

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 05 10:01 am    Post subject: Killing squid etc Reply with quote

We watched a bit of the River Cottage Christmas special last night and I was surprised to see the people on the boat trip holding the squid they had caught and admiring the different colours it turned - I gather that when you catch a large fish you bop it on the head with a bit of wood to kill it quickly, but can't you do the same for squid etc? I'm sure they said it was more intelligent than people tend to think so does it not need the same treatment or something similar as fish? If anyone catches them (the programme said it was the season for them?) what do you do?

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 05 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno, I watched it when it was on earlier in the week and just ended up shouting at the TV anyway. "Why don't you mention your full-time gardener?", stuff like that.

Blacksmith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 05 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont think they dispatch any sea fish ? Just made a "priest" for a friend at work.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 06 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a deep bite between the eyes will kill .

spanky

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 06 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Large ilex squid can be killed by just running a knife between its eyes to the crown of its head .but usually it is just thrown in a box same as all seafish , very rarely do sea anglers kill the fish on boats

Penny Outskirts

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 06 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
a deep bite between the eyes will kill .
Don't think I fancy biting a squid (Well unless it's lightly sauteed with a bit of garlci or summat)

Bernie66

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 06 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spanky wrote:
very rarely do sea anglers kill the fish on boats

What is the logic or reasoning behind that? Surely it can't be kind.

spanky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 06 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry bernie kindness doesnt come into it ,would you have the trawlers which lift tonnes daily ( if they are lucky ) kill every fish humanly unfortunatly this govt orders them to dump hundreds of tonnes of dead usable fish overboard as it is , so im sorry to say that same attitude pervades on angling boats they pay to fish and they do not waste time knocking a fish on the noggin myself included having my own boat shooting a few lines for home consumption i dont waste time doing it iether, now if i shoot a rabbit or a pheasant ( not that i am a crap shot ) then i will dispatch it maybe thats because it may escape as a fish in a box has no place to go . regs spanky

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 06 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dispatch fish with a few kind words and extreme swiftness
regardless of any ethical issues they taste better with a kind death .

KILLITnGRILLIT

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 06 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spanky wrote:
usually it is just thrown in a box same as all seafish , very rarely do sea anglers kill the fish on boats

Don`t generalise my friend,on the last boat I was on(yesterday)there were 2 cutting boards 1 fillet knife(I had my own and so did my m2 sheeling knives and 2 chappers(priests).
There were 4 fishing.

StuP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 06 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every sea-angling boat I've been on has the fish killed immediately and gutted before reaching the harbour.

RichardW

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 06 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StuP wrote:
Every sea-angling boat I've been on has the fish killed immediately and gutted before reaching the harbour.

Angling maybe but fishing not a chance.

Justme

spanky

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 06 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well thein i guess the education of sea anglers has got through after all. last time i went sea angling on a boat ( aberdeen 2002 £50 each the day )other than mine every fish caught hit the box and was gutted on the way back to shore .. and the skipper tried to take the fish as well as he only charged for folks to catch them ( this he told us when we had upped anchor and was coming back ) not keep what they caught ,,,,37 stone approx which would have made him another £70 a box , soon changed his mind .6 marines have a persuasive look about them.... robbing barsteward

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive