Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Manual imprint credit card swipe machines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Author 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 07 10:16 am    Post subject: Manual imprint credit card swipe machines Reply with quote

Would it be legal to use this without a merchant plate with your details on?

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=180102469201&rd=1&rd=1

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 07 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know for sure but my suspicion is not, though possibly you could rubber stamp the relevant bit onto the customer copy. The important bit is more how would you then cash them, you'd still need a merchant account wouldntyou?

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 07 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to this site you get your plate for the machine after you set up the merchant account
https://www.webthang.co.uk/tuts/tuts_asp/gh_cards/gh_carts1.asp

Andy B

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 07 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Manual imprint credit card swipe machines Reply with quote

Stacey wrote:
Would it be legal to use this without a merchant plate with your details on?

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=180102469201&rd=1&rd=1

You would have problems dealing with fraud using an old swipe machine and i thought the banks expect people to take on chip n pin when starting an account, even though it costs. And how would you bank them if your dealer info wasn't imprinted on the sales slip as most banks wont deal with them over the counter now. The banks are really un helpfull with them because they dont want people using them!

Stacey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 07 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the new Paypal virtual terminal thing I was thinking of. It allows you to take credit card payments over the phone so in theory you could take paper impressions of cc's at shows and enter the details when you got to a computer.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 07 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stacey wrote:
It's the new Paypal virtual terminal thing I was thinking of. It allows you to take credit card payments over the phone so in theory you could take paper impressions of cc's at shows and enter the details when you got to a computer.

'cept wouldnt you need the security number as well, and then you have effectively got an exact copy of someones whole card. I know in theory any merchant could misuse your number, but I have a feeling people may not be too happy about handing over a complete copy of their card on a traders promise that they will enter it manually later?

Stacey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 07 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm - not any different to giving all the details over the phone either though. I had my card manually swiped at wyevale yesterday - their computers must've been down - they didn't take the security code
I know what you mean though - I don't think people would go for it.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 07 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The virtual terminal thing, would it work on a mobile phone with internet access? No idea how easy or cost effective it is to do net stuff on the phone though, plus coverage is traditionally pants at most shows

Helen_A

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 07 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah - right for shows you take the details as you would for someone sending you the details via the post, or as over the phone. And then process it as a standard customer non-present. You'd need to chat etc. wrt whether you think that they could be trusted to not default on the payment, but as you have sight of the card in these situations then you get a lot of confidence from that usually. You get them to sign the form and see if it matches the card etc.

For a standard cnp order you would need:

Full name
Full address inc. House number/flat no+house no, and postcode.

(of these your machine will be checking the no's and the postcode no's as a double check against identity)

The 3 digit code from the back of the card.

And a full *terrestial* phone no. (as some machines/virtual services also use this as a double check wrt location it is a good one for you as well)

HTH Helen_A

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 07 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the security thing again isnt it. I know its fairly unlikely, but if I went to a show, wanted to pay by card and was offered a form to fill in with all my card details on it, even though it would be the same details I might give over the phone I would probably worry a bit about whether that paper could go astray. Might be worth trying though, even a couple of additional sales would be worthwhile

RichardW

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 07 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have one knocking about if you want it. But without a plate its not much use. Think I still have the electronic one too but would guess its out of date now.

Justme

Helen_A

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 07 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm - well to do a CNP order you need the house number, and postcode numbers; so you could probably just take those plus name etc. Except that CNP is 'mail order' so the full address is how you verify things through the virtual terminal later....

Its a total ymmv thing.

You could look at hiring Chip and Pin just for the show (there are cos that do that) but you'd need phone access for it, and if you have to do that then you may as well run your VT over the 'net from there anyway, so you'd *still* need all the same details...

Helen_A

RichardW

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 07 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about paypals mobile phone in payments?

Justme

mrutty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 07 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stacey wrote:
Hmmm - not any different to giving all the details over the phone either though. I had my card manually swiped at wyevale yesterday - their computers must've been down - they didn't take the security code
I know what you mean though - I don't think people would go for it.

If the line is down on a computer based system it used to be (not worked on it in two to three years) that the credit card company would carry the risk, but I think under chip and pin you take the risk and if it's a fraud you lose the money plus the credit card auth fee is still due. Having spoken to lots of small business it seems that mobile Ccard transactions aren't worth the grief.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 07 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrutty wrote:

If the line is down on a computer based system it used to be (not worked on it in two to three years) that the credit card company would carry the risk,

Up to a point, they usually gave you an incredibly low floor limit though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive