Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Measure twice...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 05 7:55 pm    Post subject: Measure twice... Reply with quote

and cut once. That's about it really. Brought home today by running out of one of the sorts of tiles we'd bought. So I can't finish the kitchen until next week. Bother.

Nanny

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 05 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't you just hate it when that happens?

been there...i just hope you can get the tiles on monday when you look for them

i couldn't and we had to make a quick design change

it worked but it was still a poop

bon chance mon ami

the battle of B & Q is about to begin..................

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 05 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is worth asking if you can return unused boxes and buying a spare box.

One thing that surprised me when I bought a nearly new house several years ago was the fact that there was a range of spare tiles in one of the cupboards, rather thoughtful I thought.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 05 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just a sheet of little mosaic tiles which I'm short of. They (Topps Tiles) don't hold them in stock, so they won't be here until next weekend now. Incidentally they will buy back any unused tiles, they don't even need to be in full boxes.

Nanny

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 05 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we looked at topps tiles but i thought they were expensive frankly

some good patterns but a fair amount of dosh i thought

B&Q it was in the end

unfortunately we only calculated for so many breakages and we had a couple too many

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 05 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what you're after I guess. And most of these chains do local pricing which complicates the comparisons. We mainly wanted 15cm plain white tiles which were roughly half the price in Topps compared with B&Q.

nettie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 05 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm Sean it sounds like you've had a similar weekend to me....I went to stain a new pine ikea cabinet the same colour as I'd stained the rest of the wood in the lounge, only to run out of stain half way through and find it's since been discontinued

hils

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 05 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nettie if you have a Wilkos near you grab one of their colour charts for stain. They're printed on acetate type stuff (see thro plastic) and you just move the chart over the the thing you need to stain to find exactly which one to use. They might have a very similar one to yours? H

cab

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 05 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:

One thing that surprised me when I bought a nearly new house several years ago was the fact that there was a range of spare tiles in one of the cupboards, rather thoughtful I thought.

After waiting a week and a half for four and a quarter inch qhite tiles to be delivered to a local tile shop, we replaced some cracked tiles in the bathroom. A month later we found a whole box of them in the back of the shed.

nettie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 05 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hils wrote:
Nettie if you have a Wilkos near you grab one of their colour charts for stain. They're printed on acetate type stuff (see thro plastic) and you just move the chart over the the thing you need to stain to find exactly which one to use. They might have a very similar one to yours? H

Thanks Hils

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive