Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Messy eaters

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 16 11:06 am    Post subject: Messy eaters Reply with quote

All of my chickens are horribly messy eaters. The last lot weren't too bad (except the pekins, and the large fowl would come up to their pen and clean up after them) but this lot are awful. They spread their food all over the floor, and then won't eat it once it's spread around, even if I don't give them any more. They do pick out the bits they like to some extent, but they still did it even when I put them on homogenous pellets (I prefer not to feed them pellets of imported soya). They all free range for most of the day and otherwise spoilt rotten. They do this with all the feeders I have. I don't like the waste, but mostly I'm worried about rats.

Ideas on a postcard?

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 16 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

treadle feeder, hen stands on platform ,flap opens,feed from hopper drops to beak level as hen pecks what it can see.

not perfect but far less messy ,wasteful and rat friendly than open feeders.

ps it took mine about 5 mins to work out how to get dinner out of the big metal thing

mousjoos

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 16 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Messy eaters Reply with quote

wellington womble wrote:
Ideas on a postcard?

Casserole or in a basket...

Woo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 16 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why don't they eat what you give them? Mine are all over the food and don't leave till the last crumb is gone. then they start on the wildlife.
are you feeding them too much? or am I being too mean?

Green Rosie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 16 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was fed up with my lot scattering their food everywhere so bought some of these. Result - much less feed waste although my big meat birds kept tipping it over so I had to secure it with a couple of logs.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 16 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo wrote:
why don't they eat what you give them? Mine are all over the food and don't leave till the last crumb is gone. then they start on the wildlife.
are you feeding them too much? or am I being too mean?

They are spoilt rotten with free ranging over a couple of acres during the day and by my fussy eater six year old (they get her crusts and leftover porridge and milk!) but I can't get down there to feed them until after the school run, and I need to put them away before bedtime at about 7pm. So they need food in their run for all the daylight time outside of that. I've always fed all my hens as much as they like, and they've all done well on it. It's only this lot (and the previous Pekins) that have been so messy!

Treadle feeders are not cheap! What's to stop them treading and spreading anyway, though?

wellington womble

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 16 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Messy eaters Reply with quote

mousjoos wrote:
wellington womble wrote:
Ideas on a postcard?

Casserole or in a basket...

Wouldn't get many eggs, then! Two are going ovenwards in a couple of weeks, though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive