Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
My back boiler is leaking . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 09 7:34 pm    Post subject: My back boiler is leaking . . . Reply with quote

To be fair it's 50 years old. It's some sort of BAXI, with underfloor draught and a really big ash can. I've been burning all sorts on it this year (didn't use it last year), and it's really nice compared with the other ordinary fireplace (in the lounge) which draws cold air into the room.
I thought that I had found a supplier for a replacement boiler but on closer investigation they supply everything BUT the boiler.
The sweep recommended that I isolate the boiler and ventilate it and just use it as an open fire. I'm not going to be able to save any money on water heating that way!

Now for the questions:
Does anyone know where (or if) I can get a replacement?
Failing that, is it true 1) that a woodburner with a back boiler has to have an efficiency rating of 90% to be legally installable?
2) That lining a chimney has to be done by a HETAS engineer?

I'm sure are more things I need to find out, but I'm so upset at the prospect of having to spend at least 3x what I originally thought on top of finding out that I need to rewire almost all the lights in the house, (and probably most of the ring mains too, but I daren't look, or even think too hard about it) that I can't think straight.
I had hoped ('til the sweep came) that the chimney might be already lined.

In short all helpful suggestions desperately needed please!

Dee J

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 09 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you could get a steel fabricator to make a new back boiler for your existing fire... it's just a heavy duty steel box. As for woodburning stoves - lots available with backboilers - don't know about efficiencies - but you're probably looking at 500pounds plus. Flues - does it need lining for a stove - not necessarily (ask a good sweep or stove installer) - but if it does then I suspect it's either building regs controlled or use a heatas installer (who can self-notify).

Need to rewire? why... rubber cables then probably yes. But pvc can last indefinately. Some older light wiring doesn't have an earth - so you would need to avoid metal light fittings in that situation. Have a chat with a local friendly electrician and see what they advise and why (not the big companies who do "free"inspections with lots of remedials.

Dee

Blue Sky

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 09 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's just a leak you could try a product called 'Wondarweld' by Holts. It is made for fixing engine blocks and as such is mighty stuff.

After we installed the radiators to run off the woodburner and filled it with water it pissed out of the back boiler all over the kitchen floor. Also one of the cast iron rads was leaking. It was going to be a case of taking the burner out and having it welded until I made some enquireys and was told about the product above. We put 2 bottles of it into the system and refilled with water. It sealed the leaks on both boiler and radiator and hasn't leaked since.

Having said all this, it isn't a pressurized system (thanks to Pricey). I don't know how it would hold up in a pressurized system.

Hope this helps

fishkettle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 13 8:51 am    Post subject: My back boiler is leaking...... Reply with quote

Hi Blue Sky,

Thanks for the tip about Holts Wondaweld, sounds worth a punt and definitely cheaper than a new boiler - so I've ordered a couple of bottles.
Did you completely drain the system or only partially?
Does it affect the electric pump for the radiators?

Any tips gratefully received!

Bodger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 13 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it works anything like Radweld that you put in leakey car radiators, you just add it to the system with the water still in.

Piggyphile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 13 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my front boiler leaks.... I wear pads....

(Sorry)

Nick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 13 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 13 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 13 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need a HETAs engineer to do boiler work or a FENSA person to do windows, but if you don't, you have to follow all the regulations and get it checked by someone who has the certificates or the building inspector to make sure it is done right.

Good luck with the boiler.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive