links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
My first parasol

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 05 8:19 pm    Post subject: My first parasol Reply with quote

Well I hope so. We found about 10-20 of these at various stages in a dry grassy field. Many had been held back by the grass. It looks like a normal parasol, Lepiota procera, but I thought I'd post a couple of pics. It's about 20 cm tall and the cap is 12 cm across, but not fully open.

dougal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 05 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I'd say its extremely unlikely to be harmful!
I'd say it looks *very* like procera. (Cab would distinguish it as macrolepiota... cos of its size, all the naughty ones are tiddlers and he halls them lepiota.)

The bigger ordinary parasols would end up pretty flat, shaggies (which I don't think this is - although the size is right), seem to end up that shape.

I'd have eaten it by now!

nettie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 05 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on a fine haul!! That's the one, Treacs, I reckon, and it's not a shaggy; like all wild edible mushies, I'd recommend you have just one to start, and see how you get on. They don't tend to get maggots so most can be eaten without the extra protein!

Any old, dry or shrivelled ones will make great mushroom ketchup if you can find a couple of decent sized field mushies to put in there too. It's a good treatment for any mushies that are past their best, you can strain the maggots out!

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 05 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spore print has come out quite well. Quite a dark creamy colour but Phillips says it should be white, anyone any idea why it's different?

cab

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 05 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm... Parasol...

The spore print will tend to look creamy in old ones, and of course it looks creamier on a white background.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive