Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
New series of Gardeners World starts tonight
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 05 2:41 pm    Post subject: New series of Gardeners World starts tonight Reply with quote

Gardeners' World
Fri 25 Feb, 8:30 pm - 9:00 pm 30mins

To kick off the new series Monty is joined in the garden by Rachel de Thame and two new presenters Joe Swift and Carol Klein.

Monty reveals his ambitious plans for the coming year including two new plant trials. Work starts on the first new garden area for 2005: a contemporary shrubbery, and Rachel and Carol will look at some of earliest flowering plants in the Spring Garden. The team also get to grips with lots of gardening tasks to get started on this weekend; from sowing the first crops under cloches to finishing off Winter pruning.

I believe one of the trials is dahlias They make your garden look like an old lady lives there and you can't eat them. Or can you?

(PS we grew some dahlias from seed last year, pretty, filled up gaps in the flower bed, but really, what is there to trial? Pick one that isn't Barbara Cartland pink and you're away).

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 05 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tisn't Friday without any gardening progs is it? ( and what was with all the athletics last Friday )

Dalhias aren't edible but as someone who is putting in a cutting garden up the plot to save me buying air freighted african roses I shall be very interested -although I've already bought my plants!

Gervase

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 05 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aargh, that means that SWMBO will spend the evening in a swoon over Monty Don and ranting about Rachel de Thame. Shame the nearest pub's so far away...!

Mary-Jane

Location: The Fishing Strumpet is from Ceredigion in West Wales
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 05 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay dear Husband - what's SWMBO (or whatever it is?) Explain, then get back to bloody work - and have you started the dinner yet? Tsk! Men!

Mind you - he's right about Rachel de-if-I-get-my-hand-in-this-mucky-soil-I-might-get-my-nail-extensions-dirty-Thame. Not that I'm jealous of her beauty or anything...I'll just pour myself a glass of red wine and gaze at Monty..

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 05 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is it with girls and Monty? He looks like he should be a geography teacher to me

Mary-Jane

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 05 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaah - just realised - SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed. Doh!

You can tell it's Friday afternoon and I'm bloody knackered at work. Never mind - Monty to look forward to. Geography - Schmography. My geography teacher never looked like Monty - I might have paid more attention to me ox-bow-lakes if he had... *sigh*

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 05 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My geography treacher was a sadist Brummy with long blonde hair, nothing like Monty really, he just seems to have a certain "air of fuddy teacherness" about him.

Mary-Jane

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 05 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was a typical early 1970's teacher (oops, giving clues as to age) with a corduroy jacket (yup, leather patches on the elbows), tank-top underneath, long shaggy beard and APPALLING bad breath. He may as well have starred in 'Please Sir'...but I guess most of you lot are too young to remember that.

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 05 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please Sir? I remember that. They made a film too didn't they? They went on a coach trip and a "muslim" boy kept making them stop so he could do his prayers.

Do you remember HR Puff'n'Stuff? Never ever got repeated did it?

Bugs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 05 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monty Don does nothing for me. He looks like he hasn't been fed for eight weeks. What's attractive about a man when you can see every contour of his skull?

Get off my TV set, you cadavre.

(Mind you I agree exactly with MJ about Rachel de Thame )

Mary-Jane

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 05 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh thanks Bugs - I mean, if that woman Rachel gets her hands in the soil, I'm Vita Sackville-West.

And another thing - does she do NOTHING but walk around quoting latin names of plants? I mean - there's a bit more to growing than that!

And I do hope any new 'contemporary gardens' won't involve steel balls, glass pebbles or ruddy water features. If there's one expression that makes me want to throw something at the telly on a supposed gardening programme, it's 'water feature'. I blame Charlie and her Dimmocks for that...and the decking frenzy.

Grrr....

Mary-Jane

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 05 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
Please Sir? I remember that. They made a film too didn't they? They went on a coach trip and a "muslim" boy kept making them stop so he could do his prayers.

Do you remember HR Puff'n'Stuff? Never ever got repeated did it?

And it's not surprising is it? It was terrible! I still can't get over the fact a new film has been brought out of the Magic Roundabout - what a travesty! They should have just left them alone in their drug-crazed world...

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 05 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was wrong with HR Puff'n'Stuff? I used to look forward to that...

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 05 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on sean you're old enough to remember it what did you think?

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 05 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it must have been on ITV. We didn't have a set that picked up commercial television, seriously. Or at least my parents were too clueless/cunning to retune it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive