Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Oak Processionary Moth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 15 6:46 pm    Post subject: Oak Processionary Moth Reply with quote

Apparanetly will be a problem gain this year, this is the Forestry Commission's guide on what to do if you find it:

https://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/BEEH-9UZGJ9

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 15 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

although about 80% of the trees i planted on the slopey place are oaks im not defensive about them .
i recon beasties can eat a few cos i have planted acorns from several dozen individuals ranging from soft yankee red to hard japanese white and most of the various European types i have found are on there .

imho the best way to deal with "pests" is by using diversity rather than by attempts at exclusion or genocide.

after the first decade or so they had generated a wet soil that resisted "arson" unlike the heather/bracken that they have replaced .

planting for diversity is strong but the FC have traditionally promoted monoculture type of woods.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 15 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oak processionary moth is not going to worry about your diversity Dpack. They are not only a danger to trees but can cause skin and lung problems with animals and people. If you see any, take advice from the FC. One problem with growing imported varieties is that unless the seed is known to be disease and pest free and is grown entirely in this country, it can bring pests and diseases with it. Chelara ash die back was probably imported on British seed grown on in Europe which brought the disease with it.

Although traditionally the FC has grown monocultures, they are quite interested in other types of wood. I have had encouragement and advice from them in managing our wood which is semi natural ancient and has a pretty wide range of native species in it as well as several woodland types such as coppice with standards, mixed coppice, two storey woodland and high forest.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 15 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all my seed has been collected from uk trees and as well as the multiple oak varieties there are about 20 other species of both soft and hardwoods.

iirc there are half a dozen individual trees i didnt plant in about 7 acres of steep slope which was mostly bracken and heather knotweed (and ashes every couple of years)

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 15 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All sorts of stuff hitches a ride:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-32498510

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 15 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the snake is pretty but it does look a little cross.

the angriest stranger i unpacked was a italian wasp who via a gas hob hitch found itself in yorkshire in january .

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 15 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well would you want to make an unexpected trip when you were having a nice doze and end up going from Italy to Yorkshire?

The banana boats near here bring quite a lot of nasty things in and every so often huge spiders have to be dealt with.

This is one of the problems. All wood packaging is supposed to be made to a certain standard that ensures that no nasties get sent round the world, but sadly in some countries the regulations aren't enforced very strictly. An outbreak of Asian longhorn beetle, I think it was, had to be dealt with because of infected packaging. The FC oversaw or carried out the task which involved removing all trees within a certain radius of the infected area. They have managed to get rid of it now, but it took a lot of time and money.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive