Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Pipe soldering

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 04 10:28 am    Post subject: Pipe soldering Reply with quote

Here's a little tip I learned watching a gas fitter. When soldering copper pipes a solder drip often forms at the lowest point and this looks unsightly when set.

To make a neater joint simply wipe over the joint, before the solder set, with a damp cloth. Be carful to not touch the hot pipes!

I'm not sure if this helps improve the joint at all but I would give it an 8/10 for leaving a professional neat & clean finish.

mrutty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 04 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be a slightly damp cloth and a fast wipe as not to cool the pipe down too quickly and cause a dry joint that could leak.

Always buy pre soldered pipe joints if your not confident. Clean, flux and add solder as normal but you should end up with a much stronger joint.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 04 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally go for the pre-soldered ones. I am sure when you do it daily they are completely unneeded, but leaks are such a pain, that a few pence extra on the joints is well spent.

jema

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 04 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange, I tend to prefer the end feed ones now, a decent bit of flux and a good flame (I could do with a better flame) and they seem easier than solder ring to me.

I also note when the fitter used solder ring fittings they also used a little extra solder on the joint.

When the experts wipe the joint they hardly touch the pipe and a quick one, two and it's done.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 04 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must confess not to having done enough joints for an informed comparison. Certainly not a side by side one.

It just looks like it should be better I suppose, makes me think of convenience food analogies.... must go out and buy some Yorkshire pudding mix

jema

lazzasurf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 05 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello...
well i am a gas fitter and i always wipe the solderd joint with a 1/2" brush dipped in flux. i would advise against using a damp cloth because it could cool the joint down to quick and cause thermal shock of the joint, cracking the joint between pipe and solder.

deerstalker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 05 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register then, I'm sure we could all use advice from a gas fitter!

I know I could!

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 05 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the wiping with the brush dipped in solder done to leave a neat finish or do anything else?

I can always amend the tip. (I have seen two different gas fitters use a damp cloth, must be something they do down these parts )

lazzasurf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 05 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

registerd..im in....

yes it is for cosmetic reasons, aswell as to be able to see the clean joint to ensure a good all round run was made.

Blacksmith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 05 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read this thread and noticed no one has mentioed the use of lead free solder for potable water, (and boss green or equivalent for compression fittings)
Dave.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive