Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Pond life wanted

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 05 1:15 pm    Post subject: Pond life wanted Reply with quote

Hello. I am making a wildlife pond in the garden and would like to get frogs/newts any pond life in it asap. Does anyone have excess pond life that would like a good home? Happy to give seeds or veg or anything you fancy (within reason) in return. I think it might be a little late for frogspawn now. Frogs that have been trained in the art of slug eating are especially welcome. I am in Stirling, Central Scotland.

Bugs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 05 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you're supposed to move frogs (disease reasons) and newts even more so (just in case you wind up with a protected one )

On the bright side though, you will probably find they turn up quite quickly of their own accord. If you do a search on user "Cab" and term "pond" on here you might find some discussions about starting a new pond, and Treacodactyl is doing an article on ours at the moment. Here's one thread I found - https://forum.downsizer.net/about2371.html&highlight=pond - I was trying to find the bit about getting some sludge from an exisiting pond, provides lots of "stuff" (that's a scientific term, I believe) to get the system going.

[/code]

greenbean

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 05 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bugs, I read the link. I think the scope of sludge from a happy existing pond makes sense.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 05 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best ways to start a pond is to take some sludge out of a near by pond (with permission). Animals like frogs, toads and newts should turn up of their own accord when it's time to breed next year; they have in all the ponds I've made. The tend to like some shelter near the pond so ground cover plants, rocks and logs near by will encourage them.

Native pond plants are best as they are less likely to rampage through your pond and damage the environment. Again, I would suggest getting them from as local as you can so they bring with them wildlife from your area.

I'd not recommend taking frogspawn or animals, especially from ponds far away as there is a danger of introducing disease. Frogs and toads have been susceptible to diseases in the last few years and it would be best not to spread them.

Bugs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 05 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm debating whether it's sensible to offer you frogbits* and watermint from our ponds - not sure how well they would manage the journey to Scotland and of course if you can get something more local that will be better all round - let's see what other people come up with, and will have a think.

*there is no other term to describe these than "really cool". They look like little waterlilies, they float on the surface, if you're lucky, they have little white flowers, and in the autumn, they shut up shop, sink to the bottom, divide. In the spring, they pop up at the top in little packages and unfold for a new season. And they're native.

greenbean

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 05 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bugs and Treacodactyl. I'm glad I asked now, I could have caused all sorts of damage. Frogbits sound nice. I had a similar floating plant in last pond which had fish in it, it was called fairy moss.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 05 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenbean wrote:
fairy moss.

IIRC this is one of the non-native plants that can do a large amount of damage as it can clog up water ways.

There are so many fine native plants, some far nicer than most of the non-native ones. I'll post up some more details tonight.

greenbean

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 05 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I didn't know that, yes the fairy moss was rather quick to spread. I also don't know what IIRC means, can you tell me please?

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 05 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I Remember Correctly (or similar)

greenbean

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 05 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahah, it all makes sense now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive