Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Quads on footpaths

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 07 11:27 am    Post subject: Quads on footpaths Reply with quote

Does anyone know the legality of using quads and motorbikes on designated french footpaths?

RichardW

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 07 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow good question. In the uk its much easier. Public foot paths on private land are a no no unless you have the land owners permision (just the same as if you wanted to take a spin round a field) & then you might still be contra to local byelaws whilst on the path. Green lanes/ bridle paths are ok but you must be road legal (tax insured mot ect).

justme

Rob R

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 07 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do quads need an MOT? On a farm they are agricultural machines & I'd automatically assumed this before for all quads.

Tay

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 07 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the legality of this, but there is a bridleway (equivalent of) running along the side of our field and house which is regularly used by motorbikes and quads. Occasionally, vans and cars go along there too.

I'm sure that this topic has come up before on TotalFrance. This link may be of use - it is quite long, and I haven't gone through all of it. If that doesn't help, try doing a search on there. https://www.totalfrance.com/france/forum/about18887.html&highlight=quad

RichardW

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 07 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob R wrote:
Do quads need an MOT? On a farm they are agricultural machines & I'd automatically assumed this before for all quads.

All non farm (agricultural registered) quads need an MOT.
All road going quads need road tax (free for agricultural registered ones)& 3rd party insurance.

Justme

Green Rosie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 07 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked because 7 quads and 3 motorbikes came tearing along the paths round here this morning. They made quite a mess of one path amd a lot of noise - but at least they just came and went rather than going round and round the fields as we used to suffer back in England. I suppose I need to find out what the path designation actually is and whether thay have similar designations as in England ie footpath, bridleway and byway. Plus it may well be more accepted here and I don't want to go upsetting people, not least our neighbour who is the Mayor's son!!

dougal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 07 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green Rosie wrote:
... I suppose I need to find out what the path designation actually is and whether thay have similar designations as in England ie footpath, bridleway and byway. ...

I bet that whatever the rules are, they aren't the same!

Green Rosie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 07 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougal wrote:
I bet that whatever the rules are, they aren't the same!

And whatever the rules are, you can bet the French will ignore them

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 07 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ask the mayor ?

Green Rosie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 07 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tay wrote:
https://www.totalfrance.com/france/forum/about18887.html&highlight=quad

Read through the thread - seems that all the issues re quads and paths are the same in France and England i.e. quad riders not able to see that heay are causing a nuisnace and other countryside users/residents being anything from mildly to exceedingly annoyed with them. May take dpack's advice and ask the mayor. If it turns out that they are allowed on the paths then we shall just have to put up with them - but if they are not I do not see why we should have to. But how to stop them is a whole different matter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Downsizing abroad All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive