Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Running a laptop or and ipad from solar panels
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 13 2:39 pm    Post subject: Running a laptop or and ipad from solar panels Reply with quote

This old chestnut again I'm afraid.

I am running a Sony Vaio laptop at present (may move to I-pad when that dies and goes to microchip heaven) and I would like to run it from solar but realise the impracticality of that in the UK. I am looking to run a set up along the lines of a Solar Gorilla and a Power Gorilla - charging the Gorilla and than using that to charge the laptop). I will be siting the panel in an upstairs window, behind double glazed panels with all their UV reducing qualities.

Is anybody out there running a similar set up, if so how successful has it been in use. If you are using something different that works but is solar gorilla sized, what are you using and how well does it really work?

The kit is darned expensive so I am approaching this with extreme caution.

Alternatively if you've tried and failed it would help me know what to avoid as well.

Thanks

vegplot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 13 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're on mains electric then there really is no point in running a laptop off solar PV.

paul1963

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 13 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegplot wrote:
If you're on mains electric then there really is no point in running a laptop off solar PV.

TBH Vegplot that's what I'm starting to wonder, what with the cost of the kit and the comparatively low cost of mains charging

vegplot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 13 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're planning on installing significant PV capacity then it will still be expensive per unit compared to mains but you'll feel good. These little PV chargers are extremely expensive (you can buy a large panel for the same or less) and often fail to perform.

RichardW

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 13 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VP has it nailed.

chez

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 13 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was my conclusion when I looked in to it a few years ago, although I am now about to look at it all again in view of the camper van. As an aside, when we had arvo's vaio, it was the most power-hungry machine we have ever had.

vegplot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 13 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chez wrote:
That was my conclusion when I looked in to it a few years ago, although I am now about to look at it all again in view of the camper van. As an aside, when we had arvo's vaio, it was the most power-hungry machine we have ever had.

You might be better served installing a second deep discharge battery charged off a spit charger from the engine alternator to power ancillary devices.

RichardW

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 13 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegplot wrote:
Chez wrote:

You might be better served installing a second deep discharge battery charged off a spit charger from the engine alternator to power ancillary devices.

Depending on how often it will be moved. I would do the split charger & extra battery but also look at solar as well. You dont want to be having to run the engine just to get a small amount of power.

mark

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 13 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solar panels really need to be outside - using them indoors behind double glazing reduces their power twofold - the glass reduces dirent sunlight , you don't get diffused light from the rest of the sky , and you can't turn them to face the sun throughout the day!

Also laptops are power hungry - power monkey is ok with short useage times or better with tablet phone. For a laptop go for a big heavy duty leisure batter with big panels on roof and a regulator between panels and battery.

Or do what i do fully charge laptop before you go.. take a fully charged leisure battery (and if you are away for any time steal charges where and when you can!)

boisdevie1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 13 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardW wrote:
vegplot wrote:
Chez wrote:

Depending on how often it will be moved. I would do the split charger & extra battery but also look at solar as well. You dont want to be having to run the engine just to get a small amount of power.

I was wondering about a solar panel for my camper but once you add in the cost of a panel, brackets, cable, skin grommet thing, charge controller, it might be best having a second leisure battery and an inverter. That's what I'm going to do with the option of doing a solar panel if it's absolutely necessary.

RichardW

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 13 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will only work if you are running the engine anyway to move the camper. As soon as you start to run the engine just to top up the bats the true costs (not just fuel) rise dramatically.

You would be well advised to sign up HERE as they have just the same issue, but have had many many years to suss it out fully.

mark

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 13 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardW wrote:
That will only work if you are running the engine anyway to move the camper. As soon as you start to run the engine just to top up the bats the true costs (not just fuel) rise dramatically.

You would be well advised to sign up HERE as they have just the same issue, but have had many many years to suss it out fully.

I think one of he differences between boating and camping is you can camp a night where they have power hook up - and charge your battery .

I manage to go a week with no probs charging my 7in Andrioid tablet /phone / GPS / vario and other flying intruments from a leisure battery without needing to recharge! I've even had enough juice left at the end of the week to use it to help start a car with a flat batter!y A laptop is a much heavier drain though and though i usually have a laptop with me i use it very sparingly. Not a problem when i can really do most stuff on the tablet.

Penny Outskirts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 13 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of people who wild camp and live in their campers, using solar power to top up their leisure batteries, which then power their laptops. Seems to work ok, but I don't know the details.

Might be worth researching on wild camping.com and motorhome365 to see what they do?

mark

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 13 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penny Outskirts wrote:
There are a lot of people who wild camp and live in their campers, using solar power to top up their leisure batteries, which then power their laptops. Seems to work ok, but I don't know the details.

Might be worth researching on wild camping.com and motorhome365 to see what they do?

In general solar charger in the UK do a good job of keeping battery trickle charged and avoiding it running down when not in use. ie keeping a leasure battery on a boat topped up when you are not around. Or caravan batteries charged up when you are not using it much
They also work well in more demanding situations where they can be fixed on a roof and kept orientated to the sun so they get light from dawn till dusk.
They are at their best in May Jun July when daylight hours are lionger and sun more directly overhead - ironically these are the months when most of us don't really want spend time on the laptop but want to get out.
In winter, spring and autumn when you want light to see by and laptops for the dark evening - they just are not up to keeping the battery topped up without a massive (and expensive) array. Sadly the same goes for half the days in the British summer too!

They key seems to be to reduce power where you can
1) use phone or tablet for emails not laptop etc
2) If using laptop try to use in car laptop pwer supply that runs off 12V rather than mains inverter withnormal power supply - you will save double inffeciency of changing 12 V up to 240 V in the inverter and then back down to around 19V the laptop uses - you just do one conversion instead .

Penny Outskirts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 13 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark wrote:

2) If using laptop try to use in car laptop pwer supply that runs off 12V rather than mains inverter withnormal power supply - you will save double inffeciency of changing 12 V up to 240 V in the inverter and then back down to around 19V the laptop uses - you just do one conversion instead .

I think all the people I know who use the laptop on a solar charged leisure battery use it off 12v.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive