Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Saint Georges Mushrooms... Anyone found any yet?
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 05 1:15 pm    Post subject: Saint Georges Mushrooms... Anyone found any yet? Reply with quote

This is the weekend... This is when I hope to find my first ones. I've had a couple of reports of them appearing elsewhere in the country, and this weekend I'm going to check out all my regular spots for them.

Anyone found any yet?

My own report of this weeks forage will appear here after the weekend... Wish me luck...

Behemoth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 05 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of environment are they usally found in?

Bugs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 05 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!

Haven't looked much yet, we do know some pasture (according to your Wild Foods in April article being the place to look) but might not get a chance to try this weekend. That's a patch of common, grazed some of the time by rare breed sheep, where last year we found lawn puffballs (I think..or meadow?) and field mushrooms aplenty. But it's chalk again. Does that sound likely or not?

Course not that it matters because you know me, I'll have to get out the cross and holy water, and have a sleepless night if TD tries them. But I would take pics

cab

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 05 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behemoth wrote:
What sort of environment are they usally found in?

Around field edges, near hedges, good pasture, but I've had them from around rugby pitches, aropund woodland edges, etc.

cab

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 05 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
But it's chalk again. Does that sound likely or not?

It's worth a shot. If there are agaricus there and puffballs then why not? Try looking around trees on your pasture, by fences and around the edges. They form rings, and you can often spot the rings from a distance.

nettie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 05 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing yet here Cab, am off to look tomorrow morning.

cab

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 05 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked three or four good handfulls of really small St. Georges on Saturday. Very tasty they were too. We're into the season now- watch out for them.

Bugs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 05 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we went out for a couple of hours last night to our most likely - in our mind - place - looking for these on the grass and the edges, and morels in the sandier bits, among the conifers and the woodchipped paths...but nuffink! We did find a type of wood sorrel (oxalis?) that I've yet to look up...and some woodruff, and wild onions of some sort, but haven't hit the books yet so that's all I can say.

A few ex-ink-cap-alikes and something narsty in the woodchips was all the fungi going on

mochyn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 05 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We looked yesterday on an exposed pasture with woodland edges, but no luck so far. We'll try again next weekend, when, hopefully, there won't have been a -5C frost the night before!

Richy Rich

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 05 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely everyone is aware of me munching St Georges in Coventry... the ring where I picked them from is now BIGGER with about 15 of the blighters...

Its still Morels that I am after though.

Rich

boff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 05 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what am i looking for ?

any one got a piccy?

Bugs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 05 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, main site is back up, good timing - there's a description and links to pics on Cab's April Wild Foods article

Lloyd

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 05 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think these are they, just come back from wood........Anyone know what the big fella is?....Can I eat him?

Richy Rich

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 05 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madman -

DO NOT TAKE MY WORD AS GOSPEL... DYOR (Do your own research)

The small white ones in the container look suspiciously like St Georges to me ....

No idea on the biggun....!

Calling CAB!!!

Richy.

cab

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 05 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madman, as far as I can tell (it's always dodgy picking these things out without getting them in your hand) the white ones are St. Georges mushrooms. The big brown one looks like a dryads saddle (Polyporus squamosus), which I presume was growing on the side of a tree or a dead bit of wood?

If it is, it's edible, but by the time it's as big as that one it's somewhat tough, and not really all that pleasant any more.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive