Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Shooting season

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 06 10:26 pm    Post subject: Shooting season Reply with quote

In the past I always used to shoot cans in the garden with my air rifle, but I'd like to turn my hand to some of the countless pigeons, rabbits etc in my area.

Are there particular seasons for shooting pigeons and rabbits? How about game such as pheasant, deer, partridge etc?

Many thanks

Brica

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 06 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vermin is all year
"game "has seasons ,
armed trespass is a crime so get shooting rights .

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 06 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No season for rabbits and pigeons if you just wish to controll them but many people will not shoot them over late spring/summer when they are most likely to raise young.

Shooting seasons for game can be found here: https://www.basc.org.uk/content/shootingseasons

I'm not sure of the legal requirements but I'm not sure if you can shoot any game animals with an air rifle, certainly BASC don't recommend it. Here is their code of practice: https://www.basc.org.uk/content/airriflepractice

For a non-FAC air rifle it suggests
Quote:
We recommend that you refrain from using them on live quarry other than the following: crows, rooks, jackdaws, magpies, jays, woodpigeon, collared doves, feral pigeons, brown rats, grey squirrels and rabbits.

whitelegg1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 06 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often wondered WHY they say no to game birds with air rifles.
Also hares are considered a no no.
If I was cycnical, I would guess they they are trying to restrict the shooters MORE than protecting the quarry!!!.
Just like the no shooting hares on a sunday.
Question, who doesn't work on a sunday, and thus has time to shoot......the common man, that's who.

My take on it all is this, if it is safe and humane, AND you intend to eat waht you shoot (apart from mixxy rabbits & rats) then an air rifle is a suitable tool to use for anything SMALLER than a fox.

You have to be VERY careful of the law.
Get proper permission.
Check the seasons. (Hare all year round, but can;t be sold for some of the year.)
Get a game licence if necessary (from the post office)
Most important, know your quarry.
If a pigeons brain is the size of a penny, then if you intend to shoot one at 25yrds.
Then you need to be a able to hit a penny at 25 yrds, consistently.
Get a decent air rifle, that is consistent. (Preferably one that is MORE accurate than you!)

No body wants to shoot an animals face off, or put a pellet in its guts. Not even a rat.

Rant over

Pete

treefarm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 06 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My uncle says, 'Only shoot rabbits in a month with an 'R' in it!'

But then he says lots of things...

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 06 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

month hasnt got an r in it
hunt ethical and sustainable
meat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive