Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Shooting syndicates and clubs
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 05 10:11 am    Post subject: Shooting syndicates and clubs Reply with quote

I was visiting my local shooting supply shop today and looked through their adverts. There's a local shooting club that offers unlimited air rifle only shooting on its land for just over £100/year. I would need to confirm that they allow shooting for the pot as some are aimed at target shooting only and I'd also not want to join one that doesn't eat what they shoot. I also noticed a local wildfowling and rough shooting club that could be useful for the future.

Does anyone belong to a syndicate of any type? Any guides on prices and any comments would be welcome before I contact these clubs to see what they offer.

Lloyd

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 05 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you've tried this, TD, but what I've always done is simply go knocking on doors at local farms. It can be quite soul destroying, you'll get so many polite refusals, etc, but in the end it pays off. Mind you, that sounds pretty cheap for membership. How many members have they, and what's the arrangement?...How much access can you have, when can you have it, is lamping allowed at night?

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 05 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with asking farmers etc to shoot on their land is that, to be honest, I cannot say I've done it before. I'm not sure I would trust myself! I can shot quite well on a range and at field targets, and as I've grown up in the country I have a reasonable amount of country sense. But having not shot for the pot before I think I should find somewhere where I can hopefully get some help and practice before I ask landowners for access.

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 05 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't put yourself down, the best practise I got was out on my own. To be honest the actual targetting bit is fine, it's the fieldcraft to get within range that you will probably need to work on.

Anyway, if you find a flightline you can hide yourself away until the birds come on to roost or the rabbits go out to feed. Problem solved

What I'm trying to say is that you are better off getting out there and having a go than waiting years for an old hand to maybe help you.

Lloyd

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 05 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, JB. One person is highly visible and audible by a rabbit. Two are twice as much, and so on. The more people, the less chance of a decent shot.

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 05 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madman wrote:
Agreed, JB. One person is highly visible and audible by a rabbit. Two are twice as much, and so on. The more people, the less chance of a decent shot.

Very true , you just need to grasp the nettle and have a go, even if a rabbit bolts before you get near a shot, you learn from it.

Lloyd

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 05 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was out with a rifle this evening. Had a lovely walk, but didn't get a shot off. Maybe I'm getting old, but they all saw me first!

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 05 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more concerned with what I say to the land owner. I've not shot in the field but I'm sure I'd be ok doesn't have a good ring to it. I thought a while at a local club may help a bit.

Lloyd

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 05 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Hello, I hope you don't mind me knocking on the door like this, but I live at......such and such, and I enjoy shooting with air rifles. I was wondering if you might be willing to allow me to do a little pest control on your land. I noticed some burrows in the field as I approached, and I also see pidgeon on the rape field over there. Do you have people to do this task, if not I'd be keen to help. I'll always phone in advance, so you know when I'm on the land?"

Lloyd

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 05 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also wish to offer character references, or tell them your occupation.

Lloyd

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 05 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a reference from your club.

Lloyd

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 05 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you eventually get a yes, you must then establish boundaries, as well as locations of dangerous animals, such as bulls.

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 05 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could offer to provide a bit of labour at harvest time in payment, I seem to get roped into all sorts of things. But actually getting to drive a tractor for an evening is a bit of fun.

boff

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 05 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
I'm more concerned with what I say to the land owner.

Having insurance, and making sure the landowner knows is always useful.And if you do get turned down ALWAYS ask if they know someone who might be able to help.

Oh, and when you first approach them dont go dressed as a tree!

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 05 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boff wrote:
Treacodactyl wrote:
I'm more concerned with what I say to the land owner.

Having insurance, and making sure the landowner knows is always useful.And if you do get turned down ALWAYS ask if they know someone who might be able to help.

Oh, and when you first approach them dont go dressed as a tree!

Excellent point of course, dress sensibly, turning up with camo and a rifle won't get you far!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive