Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Soya from Brazil
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Author 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 08 1:35 pm    Post subject: Soya from Brazil Reply with quote

I phoned the wholesaler today to find out where their soya products are from.

All non gm but some from Brazil - believed not to be from any *deforested* areas - but grey all the same.

Alpro seem to be pretty keen on traceability (or I've fallen for their marketing)

https://www.alprosoya.co.uk/alpro/UK_en/know_more/faq/index.html

But can anyone enlighten me as to the provenance of soya in animal feed?

Nick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 08 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id go out on a limb and say 'Where ever is cheapest.' if you mean general bulk feed.

frewen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 08 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So can people who want to avoid feeding it to their animals?

LynneA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 08 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm tempted to have another go at growing some this year.

Anyone suggest a variety that will germinate AND grow in the UK?

Green Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 08 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really. That is why soya is not grown comercially in the U.K. Here is a question for you. If Soya was genetically modified so that it could be sown in the autumn and overwinter like we do with wheat, then it would have a long enough growing season to grow in the U.K. Would the G.M. modification we worth it if it saved cutting down rain forests in Brazil? Britain is short of food, but protein is what we are really short of, hence our dependance on imported high protein feeds like soya.

frewen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 08 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So let me get this right - unless I eat wild meat I'm going to be consuming soya in some form because that's whats in the animal feeds - which will either be gm from America or from Brazil where its probably been instrumental in deforesting the Amazon?

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 08 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all meat is fed cereal. I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Rob's is.

frewen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 08 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope so - or I'm in trouble

Nick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 08 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamanda wrote:
Not all meat is fed cereal. I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Rob's is.

I believe his cows and sheep are grass fed, but his pigs are cereal fed. As far as possible he grows the cereal for them on his land, or buys it from next door.

Clearly, he'll yell when I have this all arse about face.

Contadino

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 08 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was listening to an old episode of Farming Today, yesterday, and they were talking about Brazil and soya. Apparently, the only soya that can be imported into the EU is from 2 areas of the country, as all the others have failed inspections (lack of traceibility (sp?).)

So that leaves two issues which you have to make a judgement on:

1. Do you think Brazilian exporters could have hood-winked the EU inspectors?
2. Given that GM soya is grown in other latin american countries, how worried are you about contamination?

Green Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 08 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grass fed, free range 8 month old fat lambs are currently selling at British auction markets at below the cost of production, but consumers don't want that, they seem to prefer broiler chicken Why?

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 08 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both peas and field beans are grown in the UK for non-GM animal feed, used in place of soya. So I expect you could track down non-soya fed animals if you wish.

Green Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 08 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
Both peas and field beans are grown in the UK for non-GM animal feed, used in place of soya. So I expect you could track down non-soya fed animals if you wish.

E.U. farmers used to get subsidies to grow protein crops, but now they don't thanks to the CAP reform, so it is easier to grow more reliable wheat instead. A wet summer like last was devastating to legume crops.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 08 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cho-ku-ri wrote:
Treacodactyl wrote:

E.U. farmers used to get subsidies to grow protein crops, but now they don't thanks to the CAP reform, so it is easier to grow more reliable wheat instead. A wet summer like last was devastating to legume crops.

Not all farmers had poor harvests, some had very good harvests and got a very good price. However, I don't think you can take just one year into account and there are options there.

frewen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 08 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contadino wrote:
I was listening to an old episode of Farming Today, yesterday, and they were talking about Brazil and soya. Apparently, the only soya that can be imported into the EU is from 2 areas of the country, as all the others have failed inspections (lack of traceibility (sp?).)

So that leaves two issues which you have to make a judgement on:

1. Do you think Brazilian exporters could have hood-winked the EU inspectors?
2. Given that GM soya is grown in other latin american countries, how worried are you about contamination?

It would seem that I am worrying unecessarily (sp?) then . I'm not sure how I feel about gm but I don't want to be knowingly helping the destruction of the rainforest.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive