Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Squashed, Pumpkins, etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 05 8:52 am    Post subject: Squashed, Pumpkins, etc. Reply with quote

Noticed lots of these on the market yesterday when I was walking through. Having a mound of butternuts already (ooer) I didn't buy any, but there are some fab looking squashes and pumkins for sale. Spoted turks turban, generic looking pumpkins, marrows and pumpkins, many local, for sale.

I didn't grow pumpkins, but I'd like to have some for longer than the run up to Halloween. Is there a way of judging whether a bought one is suitable for storage?

judith

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 05 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, if there are no blemishes and the skin is firm, i.e. difficult to mark with your fingernail, they should all store fine. You just need to keep an eye on them in storage in case they do develop soft patches.

Res

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 05 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got a few in the shed that I brought in, as the plant had died off. They were not quite all orange when I picked them up, but have since turned a brilliant orange. The shed is covered in frosted plastic, so is light inside and the pumkins are sitting on dry capilary matting to stop any moisture building out underneath. How long would you think they will store for, as a general rule of thumb?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive