Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Starting up a Meadery & using crowd-funding

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Author 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 14 1:21 pm    Post subject: Starting up a Meadery & using crowd-funding Reply with quote

Hey there,

I've not posted in a while (and in fact I normally was a lurker anyway) but I hope it's not too cheeky for my first post back to be a selfish post trying to boost visibility of my start up business.

I'm setting up a Meadery in Berkshire. I've got a premises, I'm starting kitchen renovations and I'm going through all the local council & licensing paperwork. More importantly I've been making mead for >10 years at home and all taste testing research has been overwhelmingly positive.

To avoid fighting with banks for commercial loans for a brand new business I have instead started a kickstarter campaign at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sedgwick-meads/sedgwick-meads-moving-the-meadery-beyond-the-home
It would be lovely if you'd back me, and if you can't/won't then it'd be lovely if you'd share the URL to other mead fans.

However, and most importantly, if you are a mead fan then it'd be wonderful if you checked out the Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/SedgwickMeads and stayed in touch for when we'start production & retail.

Thanks,
Nikki

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 14 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck,anything that encourages more hives is a good thing

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 14 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Id like to know a bit more about kickstarts or crowdfunding.

My Spotty Dog Cider is going from strength to strength, but after the new build and buying more fermentation vessels and a pump Ive run out of money I can invest in.
I need to raise about £1500 to supply more bottles, commercial size BIB bags and printing costs.
I'd like to offer some cidery rewards, but dont really know the details or how to start this.

Anyone had experience? Rob?

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 14 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Rob, Sally and Helen have done this, and maybe bloke off the telly.

mark

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 14 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do check crowdunding sites conditions - all the ones which I have ever looked at forbid offering alcohol as a reward to funders in their terms and conditions (not sure why?)

I guess it could also get expensive - if the gifts are small and very clearly samples in a different packagin than you normally sell I think you could get away with VAT - but you would probably still have to pay duty without getting it back on sale (someone has to pay it where home made alcohol is not just for you and your family .
I'm not 100% sure on this stuff but I'd look into all that early on.

Pilsbury

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 14 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would of thought you could manage a crowdfunding campagin with your skill set, certianly one of the more valuble rewards could be your weekend courses, say for a £200 donation, beermats, bottle openers, t-shirts, thermal bottle sleeves could all be sourced and costed to offer as rewards if you cant actually offer cider.
There are lots of different sites now, crowdfunder and kickstarter are just a couple i know.
Of course you can offer apple juice as a reward.

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 14 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no duty if you sell less than 7 hectolitres of cider per annum.
I wasnt going to offer cider(I know this is against the rules), but was thinking of offering tasting days (come and spend a day, visit the cider shed, the orchards and get a buffet lunch), and free training events (eg £50 gets one free place on either a full day pruning event or a full day cider making event with pasty lunch). I was also thinking of sponsoring an apple tree?

Nick

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 14 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could offer to name a brew after a big donor.

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 14 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, I like that idea!

So, how does one research this? Ive got a phone number of a Cornish crowdfunding bunch - crowdfund cornwall, and contact details of a lady locally who has done it.

joanne

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 14 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is loads of info on the various sites to be honest - I would be reading through them at length

As an aside - Did you know there is a Food Assembly setting up in Cornwall? Think it's someone you may know - Paul Sousek at Cottage Farm? I only say that because you've liked his page

You should be able to sell your cider through it.

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 14 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had considerable interest from an organisation that want to stock my cider in Cornwall and have had a few problems getting the cash flow sorted. The problem is that some of the cider will be ready for the Christmas market (which is great) but I dont have enough funds to put it in BIB or bottles (well, I might, but its going to be very tight financially).
Thats whhy I likesd the crowdfunding idea.

The video problem is coming to a head as Ive been shortlisted for an award....

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 14 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations.

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 14 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all I need to do today is work out how to get the video from the phone to the computer, then onto moviemaker.....(its not my phone)

Pilsbury

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 14 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your computer bluetooth enabled? Some already have cards in but we bought a bluetooth usb card for our laptops so we ca just send pics and videos from the phone to tye computer, think it cost under a tenner.

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 14 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no blootooth.

John's phone is a samsung galaxyS. Im waiting for a download of Kies from Samsung (taking a bloody age) and then I can access the video via a wire to the computer port.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive