links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Tablet advice please
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 15 9:20 am    Post subject: Tablet advice please Reply with quote

My Mum is now keen to get online so we are sorting out broadband for her.

I'd like to get her at least a 10" tablet and I think the critical thing is that it needs a clear crisp screen.

She is not going to need the all singing dancing tablets my siblings have suggested. I can imagine that she will enjoy iplayer to catch up on things she might have missed and her favourite clothes shops are going to do well!

She is 83 with early glaucoma and completely, completely new to this.

There are tablets like this one -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ANDROID-Camera-TABLET-ROM16GB-Bluetooth/dp/B00H2K1U46

Trouble is we can't see them to try so can you suggest what I should be looking for? Can anyone recommend something from their experience?

wellington womble

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 15 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there are other tablets available, and I know they are expensive, but I can't recommend an ipad highly enough. They are so much more simple and intuitive to use. I've know several complete Luddites manage them with no problems. Jenna could use one independently at 2 (long, long before she could read) almost straight away. The previous version is just a lottie heavier, which I imagine won't be an issue for you, so second hand might be an option?

They also seem to be robust - both physically and technogically. And they are set to back up to iCloud automatically, whenever they are plugged in and connected to wifi.

Nick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 15 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, with the added caveat that iPads no longer function acceptably quickly, without crashing, on the latest iOS. Look to at least ipad 2.

Jb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 15 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an ipad for my mother in law. She has sight problems so the screen size was an essential upgrade to her ipod, also apple are very good at supporting accessibility options albeit that I spend a few minutes moving all the not useful apps off the screen and setting up the accessibilty options. I know they are more expensive but I would recommend them.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 15 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also agree.

The after care service is fantastic, not that we have needed it too often for the ipad, but we do have a lot of apple products.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 15 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you do please do not buy one of those cheap ones off Amazon. They are utter rubbish. We bought one one Christmas a few years ago for our son. A 10" one and it was slow and at times unresponsive. Painful to try and do anything on. We sent it back, paid a little more and got his a 7" Nexus.

I know that the named brands are more expensive but remember the quality is far superior and so is the screen. Buy cheap buy twice.

Cathryn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 15 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to admit that I had also thought the same thing. Her grandchildren are going to be very envious.

chez

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 15 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Samsung Galaxy range are as good if not better than the ipads screen-wise - and I prefer the Android OS.

I think that your choice should depend on whether the person giving her support has one or the other - we are all Android except Nenna now and switching between the two is a bit much for my old brain

vegplot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 15 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very rarely use my iPad so I can't give an honest appraisal. I dislike the operating system and user interface but the hardware is good. I'm never happy about contributing to Apple's cash pile either.

Given the chance I'd give Android a go. It has far more going for it in terms of general acceptance and software apps etc.

Be very careful though of the nasty apps. Apple has had a better history of protecting users compared to Andy.

However for me you can't beat the Surface Pro 3 but given the user that's perhaps a bit of a overkill.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 15 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chez wrote:
I think the Samsung Galaxy range are as good if not better than the ipads screen-wise - and I prefer the Android OS.

Funny, I can't make head nor tail of android stuff.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 15 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but Chez spends *hours* faffing about with Linux. She likes that sort of thing and wouldn't recognise user-friendly if it bit her.

Behemoth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 15 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screen is smaller that you want/need but Tesco Hudl is which's best buy after Ipad.

Nick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 15 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behemoth wrote:
Screen is smaller that you want/need but Tesco Hudl is which's best buy after Ipad.

The Best Loser.

chez

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 15 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
Yeah but Chez spends *hours* faffing about with Linux. She likes that sort of thing and wouldn't recognise user-friendly if it bit her.

Rubbish. I am the epitome of user-friendly .

Behemoth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 15 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
Behemoth wrote:

The Best Loser.

and £120 to spend on films/tv series.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive