Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Themal siphon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 13 8:37 pm    Post subject: Themal siphon. Reply with quote

Anyone here know how to calculate the force of a thermal siphon?
i.e. If I have a heat source about <yay big> down there, and a hot water tank up there, will the heat flow by itself, or would I need a pump to help it?

vegplot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 13 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may help

Woo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 13 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cant help with the maths but we used themo syphon the first year we had our wood burner with a back boiler. it worked, albeit a bit bangy as the pipes warmed up!(think the polar express at the door!)
we have since fitted a pump to help it get round the rads without the sound effects.
we have a cheepo grey metal stove with the back boiler. it manages to heat 6 radiators and baths for us all. the pipes are 28 mm, the bottom of the coil is about a foot above the back of the boiler. we are currently in a caravan set up so cant have too much more height!

i hope this little anecdote helps a bit?

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 13 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegplot wrote:
This may help

It gives a few clues... thanks.

Woo wrote:
i hope this little anecdote helps a bit?

A bit. Thank you too.

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 13 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would`nt this be the same as if you had a back boiler on a downstairs fireplace,heating a copper tank of water upstairs,

Or a central heating system,were the upstairs rads get hot ,but one needs a pump to heat the downstairs rads.

Heat rises naturally.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 13 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would work a lot better with a pump I think Hairyloon. Is there any reason you don't want a pump?

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 13 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
It would work a lot better with a pump I think Hairyloon. Is there any reason you don't want a pump?

Why have a pump if you don't need one?
A thermal siphon is perfectly adequate for many applications.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 13 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will get movement by thermal syphoning, but using a pump moves the heat round faster and you won't get cold spots at the lowest points. If you run the heat source at a high temperature, there is less chance of boiling too. As you say, a thermal syphon should work, if those are not problems in your system.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 13 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
You will get movement by thermal syphoning, but using a pump moves the heat round faster and you won't get cold spots at the lowest points.

I have a full central heating system here (with a pump). I have a few thoughts going around: for example turning an old freezer into an air-source heat pump, and I'm wondering if the heat will siphon effectively into the water tank by itself when the central heating is not running.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 13 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think the only way to find out is to try it. Leave some room to put in a pump if it doesn't work well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive