Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Tip run, yayyy
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 12 12:21 pm    Post subject: Tip run, yayyy Reply with quote

The nice man at the recycling centre only charged us seventeen quid for our rubble and plasterboard.
And we got three Dartington Crystal tumblers and a cast iron frying pan for £2.50 the lot.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 12 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was very tempted by a very nice big teapot too - but it was too big for us.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 12 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've yet to sample the delights of the local recycling center. Do you still get a confusing number of allowances or do you just pay for what the council isn't obliged to take?

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 12 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one near us (dunno if you've a closer one) just charges for rubble, plaster/board, asbestos and tyres I think. As far as I can tell it's down to their skill and judgement to decide whether you're 'trade' or not. They've always been very helpful and reasonable in my dealings with them, I was expecting to be charged £25ish for the amount of stuff we had.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 12 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, it seems to be even more confusing than I thought, strangely it seems each tip has different prices.

The bit that's puzzled me is the x number of bags in y months rules - how do they keep track?

And then what's included, it says a modest DIY jobber can take 12 sacks of waste material in a 6 month period, but that doesn't include rubble which is chargeable so what does it actually include?

arvo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 12 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused as all hell too.

I thought you *could* take rubble as they just used it as building hardcore (and therefore didn't need to pay for it to go into landfill).

I feel sorry for builders, the new rules that have come in about industrial waste are applied to any waste they've still got in skips. It must cost them a fortune.

Not sure what the solution really is; I recognise that there's only a limited amount of landfill and landfill is the least good of all solutions but it is battering the building industry at a particularly low point.

onemanband

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 12 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know current policy at my local household recycling center as I don't use it - I don't generate much household waste and it's a pain in the arse asking permission to enter in my truck and then negotiate the 90' corners in the public entrance.

Hardcore should be cheap to dispose - I pay between £0 and £20 to dispose of a 1.5ton load of hardcore direct to crushing facility. Hardcore can still go to landfill at a reduced rate as it is used as capping/temporary roads.

Plasterboard cannot now go to landfill. As I understand it new pb offcuts must be recycled. Used 'contaminated' pb can still go to landfill. For large building contracts you can get pb only skips. For the small builder - I don't know . I don't generate many pb offcuts and the odd bit I have just goes to transfer station in the rest of stuff I can't recycle.

I think all household landfill waste should be charged for.
For example .......
One person may employ a kitchen fitter - that kitchen fitter will charge say £150 waste disposal.
Somebody else may fit their kitchen themselves and take their waste to council site. That waste goes to landfill. Council has handling and transport costs, landfill operators charges and landfill tax (£64/ton). I guess that same kitchen would still cost council £100 to dispose. I suppose the landfill tax goes back into govt coffers but there is still a cost.

Why should my council tax/income tax/or wherever it comes from, pay for somebody else's consumerism ? If you can afford a new sofa / kitchen / bathroom, you can pay to dispose of the old one yourself.

I've said the above on here before - but when you pay over £150/ton to dispose of waste it doesn't seem fair when DIYers / householders dispose of the same waste (sometimes left by their builders ) for no cost.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 12 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We only had a small amount of plaster board, but it went into its own skip.

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 12 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

our recycling centre wont take plasterboard at all.

mochyn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 12 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what the problem is with plaseterboard? I have a small quantity of bits that will need to go soon.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 12 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's stopping you breaking plasterboard up, putting it in a sack and sticking it out for the dustman?

Obviously it's good to be able to recycle it if you can but I can't seem to track down a list of stuff you can or can't put out for the dustman provided it's in a suitable sack.

vegplot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 12 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Tip run, yayyy Reply with quote

sean wrote:
The nice man at the recycling centre only charged us seventeen quid for our rubble and plasterboard.
And we got three Dartington Crystal tumblers and a cast iron frying pan for £2.50 the lot.

Sounds like a petrol station promotion.

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 12 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
What's stopping you breaking plasterboard up, putting it in a sack and sticking it out for the dustman?

Obviously it's good to be able to recycle it if you can but I can't seem to track down a list of stuff you can or can't put out for the dustman provided it's in a suitable sack.

nothing - that's where it went.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 12 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mochyn wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the problem is with plaseterboard? I have a small quantity of bits that will need to go soon.

Quote:
Gypsum, when mixed with biodegradable waste, can produce hydrogen sulphide gas in landfill which is both toxic and odorous.

From: https://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/business/topics/waste/32148.aspx

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 12 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did plasterboard change? and what's the big deal with it?

Have not noticed any charges at our recycling centre apart from for fridges etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive