Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Water Spinach

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Author 
 Message
Shan



Joined: 13 Jan 2009
Posts: 6973
Location: South Wales
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 16 8:59 am    Post subject: Water Spinach  Reply with quote    

Has anyone successfully grown water spinach?

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 25697
Location: Jumping on the bandwagon of opportunism
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 16 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Spinach Reply with quote    

Shan wrote:
Has anyone successfully grown water spinach?


I've not even heard of it. Any reason? There seems to be endless things that taste like spinach, is there a reason to grow something tricky that also tastes like spinach?

sean
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 41626
Location: North Devon
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 16 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Sorry but the first rule of successfully-growing-water-spinach club is that you don't talk about successfully-growing-water-spinach club.

Shan



Joined: 13 Jan 2009
Posts: 6973
Location: South Wales
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 16 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Spinach Reply with quote    

Treacodactyl wrote:
Shan wrote:
Has anyone successfully grown water spinach?


I've not even heard of it. Any reason? There seems to be endless things that taste like spinach, is there a reason to grow something tricky that also tastes like spinach?


It's also known as Morning Glory.

I normally buy it whenever I go t the Chinese supermarket - it doesn't taste like spinach, more like a stronger tasting pak choi. Very yummy. Anyway, I found some seeds, so I'm going to give it a go.

Shan



Joined: 13 Jan 2009
Posts: 6973
Location: South Wales
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 16 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

sean wrote:
Sorry but the first rule of successfully-growing-water-spinach club is that you don't talk about successfully-growing-water-spinach club.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 25697
Location: Jumping on the bandwagon of opportunism
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 16 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Spinach Reply with quote    

Shan wrote:
Treacodactyl wrote:
Shan wrote:
Has anyone successfully grown water spinach?


I've not even heard of it. Any reason? There seems to be endless things that taste like spinach, is there a reason to grow something tricky that also tastes like spinach?


It's also known as Morning Glory.

I normally buy it whenever I go t the Chinese supermarket - it doesn't taste like spinach, more like a stronger tasting pak choi. Very yummy. Anyway, I found some seeds, so I'm going to give it a go.


Well it's related to morning glory, sweet potato and indeed bind weed.

I'd be interested to hear how difficult it is to grow, I assume it'll need warm and wet conditions? And how pest resistant it is, pak choi seems to be loved by anything slimy or crawly in the garden.

Do you fancy growing lotus as well?

Shan



Joined: 13 Jan 2009
Posts: 6973
Location: South Wales
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 16 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I found this description of growing it, so I will let you know how it goes. It sounds fairly weed like in its prolificacy.

http://www.seedaholic.com/water-spinach-bamboo-leaved-ong-choy.html

Lotus might be a bit ambitious for me.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 25697
Location: Jumping on the bandwagon of opportunism
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 16 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Looks interesting, needs warmth but not necessarily large amounts of water.

I like the names 'Kang cong' and 'Weng cai', Swamp cabbage sounds a more realistic.

Shan



Joined: 13 Jan 2009
Posts: 6973
Location: South Wales
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 16 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I will remember to announce it as swamp cabbage next time I cook it.

chickenlady



Joined: 18 Aug 2013
Posts: 393
Location: Dorset
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 16 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I'd never heard of it before....but now I want some

Shan



Joined: 13 Jan 2009
Posts: 6973
Location: South Wales
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 16 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I went wild and ordered 3 packets of seeds before I read how they prolifically spread. If you can wait until New Year, I'll post you some seeds. PM me your address.

chickenlady



Joined: 18 Aug 2013
Posts: 393
Location: Dorset
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 16 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Thank you Shan for your kind offer and I've pm'd you. It's much appreciated. xx

Shan



Joined: 13 Jan 2009
Posts: 6973
Location: South Wales
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 16 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Not a problem.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

 

Archive
Powered by php-BB © 2001, 2005 php-BB Group
Style by marsjupiter.com, released under GNU (GNU/GPL) license.
Copyright 2004 marsjupiter.com

<-- -->