Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
We caught our first bunny this morning!
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 06 12:07 pm    Post subject: We caught our first bunny this morning! Reply with quote

Am very excited! The terrier pup bushed a rabbit, the saluki x greyhound caught it

It wasn't planned, but I was walking with an experienced rabbitting chap and his dog so was had someone who knew what they were doing with me.

I was so pleased with both dogs! Despite there being prey around, they both responded to my commands amidst all the excitement! Still can't quite believe it! NOw I've just got to skin it....

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 06 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you hunt with dogs is it teh dog that kills or do you do it?

Penny Outskirts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 06 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That must be brilliant I wish my dog was of some use, other than a rather smelly footwarmer/cat scarer

Bunny burgers

hedgewitch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 06 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
When you hunt with dogs is it teh dog that kills or do you do it?

It depends on the dog and the circumstance. Some dogs do a "live retrieve" - catch the prey and bring it to you to kill. This is considered a clean/neat way of duspatching the animal without marking or bruising flesh/fur. Other dogs will kill.

Gydion did do a live retrieve this morning But this might be because we were with another dog who is experienced and has been trained to do a live retrieve. Not sure he would do it on his own, but he might. Some dogs do a live retrieve naturally, and it's possible, given his nature and background (he is gypsy breed) that he would.

I'm not an expert, though - just learning as fast as I can at the moment

hedgewitch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 06 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penny wrote:
That must be brilliant I wish my dog was of some use, other than a rather smelly footwarmer/cat scarer

Bunny burgers

It was the most amazing thing I've done, to work with them like that.

The bloke I was out with showed me how to kill the rabbit, and paunch it. He's a lovely guy, and was, I think, suprised when I wanted to see/do everything. Think he's more used to women who have hysterics when their dog comes back with a rabbit, not ones who start whooping with excitment and want to know how to gut and skin it

Mine are great foot-warmers too

Cathryn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 06 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can live in hope that our jr terrier and hound type will one day get it together then can I?

joanne

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 06 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dandies are supposed to be very good hunters - Our oldest bitch (now 14) was an excellent rabbiter - however being a Dandie the concept of retrieve eluded her - Although in her defence she had never been trained

My first Dandie however was somewhat short-sighted and bunnies could happily hop around him and he wouldn't have made any attempt to do anything - Cows on the other hand were big enough to be barked at!!!!

Other peoples Dandies like to catch Horses - which usually means swinging from a horses tail whilst it charges around the field trying to get rid of the annoying attachment - Good job the horses belonged to the same owner!!!!!

I haven't tried my little one yet - I suspect she would be rather good at it - doubt she would be any good at a live retrieve though - you should see the way she kills her toys!!!!!

pricey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 06 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done those dogs, see you were only saying the other day, about that. Did the chap show you what to do with it, are you having it for tea?

pricey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 06 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry just reread your post, in a hurry got ot go back to work

hedgewitch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 06 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruby wrote:
I can live in hope that our jr terrier and hound type will one day get it together then can I?

They just might suprise you
What sort of hound have you got, ruby?

hedgewitch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 06 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pricey wrote:
Sorry just reread your post, in a hurry got ot go back to work

No worries Yep - I was really glad to have someone with me who knew what he was doing. It's much easier when someone shows you, although the article on here is pretty good.

We've successfully skinned it now, thanks to the DS article

hedgewitch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 06 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jocorless wrote:
Dandies are supposed to be very good hunters - Our oldest bitch (now 14) was an excellent rabbiter - however being a Dandie the concept of retrieve eluded her - Although in her defence she had never been trained

My first Dandie however was somewhat short-sighted and bunnies could happily hop around him and he wouldn't have made any attempt to do anything - Cows on the other hand were big enough to be barked at!!!!

Other peoples Dandies like to catch Horses - which usually means swinging from a horses tail whilst it charges around the field trying to get rid of the annoying attachment - Good job the horses belonged to the same owner!!!!!

I haven't tried my little one yet - I suspect she would be rather good at it - doubt she would be any good at a live retrieve though - you should see the way she kills her toys!!!!!

Can't get the image of the Dandie hanging on to the horse's tail out of my mind now... heeheehee

Marionb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 06 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats a dandie??

I wouldnt like to take my JRT rabbiting as I'm afraid he'll go down a hole and get stuck!!

Naomi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 06 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a terrier Marion https://www.dog.com/breed/Dandie-Dinmont-Terrier.asp

Marionb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 06 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww what a cutie - love it!!!

Must admit, I havent heard of them before!

Thanks for the link Naomi!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive