links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Wild Plant Identification
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 05 4:44 pm    Post subject: Wild Plant Identification Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone could help identify these wild plants seen today...all found in light woodland in Hampshire

Plant A- this was everywhere. Some had black markings on.
Plant B- only saw this once
Plant C- saw this once

Apologies if pictures aren't clear enough- only had my camera phone on me at the time,

thanks
ross.

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 05 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea, but very interesting.

cab

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 05 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A (bottom) is Arum, ladies finger. Potentially a lethally poisonous. It's ahead of itself, flowering quite early.

I do know B from somewhere. Can't place it. I'll think on it and get back to you.

C is a bit indistinct, can't really make it out well enough to take a pot shot. Could be ground elder, could be various other things.

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 05 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought ground elder too but don't the leaf lobes look too small and far apart, or is that because it's on a wooded site?

You can tell ground elder from the smell of a crushed leaf, how would you describe it Cab?

judyofthewoods

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 05 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

without seing the stem I can't be absolutly sure, but first one looks like an elder seedling. The spiky one probably Lords and Ladies. No idea about other one.

judith

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 05 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The middle one looks like Lady's Mantle to me. Agree with everyone else on the other two.

ross

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 05 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks - I probably need to improve my photography skills! I will go back with a proper camera soon and see if it makes any difference!

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 05 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ground elder has a really distinctive smell, you can't mistake it for anything else, dunno how to describe it though, carrotty/parsleyish maybe??

moggins

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 05 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plant C looks like ground elder to me to, I have a garden full of it

cab

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 05 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You see, it does look like ground elder, but that means that a little seedling like that looks like elder, at least the leaves do. The leaves are actually more reminiscent of alexanders, but that's clearly not likely in a woodland in Hampshire (unless it's right near the sea) and it's also a bit small for an Alexander at this time of year.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 05 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn - there's lots of exhibit A on our walks, and I've been wondering if it was edible! I'll stick to nettles!

cab

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 05 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:

You can tell ground elder from the smell of a crushed leaf, how would you describe it Cab?

Celeryish, rather reminiscent of parsley and celery, but different. Trouble is, I'd desribe a whole load of wild umbellifers that way

wildfoodie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 05 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plant c looks like an elderberry seedling - the leaves look very sharply toothed too much for ground elder. if it stinks it probably is elderberry! plant b looks like it's going to grow alot, some kind of scrambler/ climber thingy? that notch at the edge of the leaf where it joins the stem looks familiar, possibly a hop or bryony? plant a: lords and ladies
jacky

cab

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 05 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildfood junkie wrote:
plant c looks like an elderberry seedling - the leaves look very sharply toothed too much for ground elder.

I thought that... But then it also looks like Alexanders, and it also looks a bit like Angelica, and just once in a while a ground elder gets a bit beaten looking like that... Hard to say, isn't it?

Bugs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 05 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildfood junkie wrote:
plant b looks like it's going to grow alot, some kind of scrambler/ climber thingy?

Not a mallow or something? I just thought from the shape of the leaves and the way the stems splay out; but I think it's a bit early and I don't think they attach to the stem like that. I always think of pea family, with the leaves wrapped around the stem like that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive