links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Wild garlic (Allium ursinum)

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 05 12:57 pm    Post subject: Wild garlic (Allium ursinum) Reply with quote

While out walking our surrogate hound yesterday and carefully studying the ground for Morels I found a large area of Wild Garlic or Ramsoms. It was quite easy to recognises, especially after seeing in various places but added to the waft of oniony garlic in the air I think it's hard to mistake.

Bugs and I tried a few leaves and I must say what a delicious plant! I wouldn't say it was that garlicy, but it has a wonderful strong spring onion taste with a hint of garlic and it's a nice sweet taste. Definitely something I will look out for in future and I think we will buy some bulbs for our garden.

Unfortunately we didn't find any Morels, even after looking on numerous heaps of old wood chippings and several sites of old bonfires.

For reference wild garlic is no 6 in this article: www.downsizer.net/Projects/Wild_Food/Top_Ten_Wild_Foods_for_April/

joanne

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 05 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We too went on a ramble yesterday - with the principle idea of finding some morels and wild garlic

Found the garlic - There was absolutely loads of it but sadly no morels however we did find a number of other fungus that we would love to identify

Firstly

This we think is King Alfreds Cakes - Totally inedible

Then

no idea what this is

also we saw these up a tree and would be interested to find out what they are

Cab - Any ideas?

We had a really good afternoon out

Joanne

tahir

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 05 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos Jo

nettie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 05 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The white one is inedible but I can't remember for the life of me what it's called!

if you break a bit off it's tough as old boots.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 05 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The middle one looks like an old birch polypore. The bottom one looks interesting, a bit like some creatures off the first Star Trek.

joanne

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 05 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
Great photos Jo

Thanks Tahir - The OH will be pleased - He had a really nice time wandering around the woods with his digital camera

He also took a really lovely one of a wild primrose

and some sort of mayfly doing what they do

Joanne

Lloyd

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 05 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working in the woods, after a while, the smell of wild garlic gets quite rank, but you're right, the taste is great. I munch them while working, and think they would be food to die for, chopped into a green salad!

cab

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 05 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top one is indeed King Alfreds Cakes. Middle one is a birch polypore, a.k.a razor strop fungus. Break a nice one in two and you can sharpen a razor blade on it. Not actually poisonous, but try digesting a whetstone.

Bottom one is wierd; can't immediately place it.

Rule for social survival number 24: If you're going to eat wild garlic, make sure that anyone you're likely to snog eats some too.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 05 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gareth once roasted a whole sheep with a glaze of spiced bramble jelly and crushed wild garlic- it was very yummy. Have a plant in the garden but it isnt really happy, just waves one leaf at me every year and thats about it.

cab

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 05 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had chopped wild garlic and St. Georges mushroom omelettes for Sunday lunch, with wild and garden salad (lettuce, rocket, sorrel, wild garlic, jack by the hedge, cow parsley, chickweed and innumerable other leafy things). Very tasty.

Sally, your wild garlic wants some shade, is it perhaps too light where it is?

joanne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 05 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the diagnosis - we had a great time trying to work out what stuff was - its harder than it looks

As for the wild garlic I picked - it went very nicely into some Lemon and Coriander stuffing I made to go in the Pork Joint I bought from Hoghton Farmers market yesterday and I also used some in the Raita I made for the Curry we had on Saturday night.

Joanne

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 05 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jocorless wrote:
and some sort of mayfly doing what they do

Joanne

They're a bit eager, it's only the middle of April

Platypus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 05 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a great walk this weekend, just over six miles round the outskirts of Stansted Forest, Hampshire, where we found and ate Ramsons, Oxalis and young Hawthorn leaves.

It was the first time I'd tried Oxalis and I was very pleasantly surprised, a real fresh almost citrus like flavour, even the kids liked them

We took a small handful of Ramson leaves home and cooked them in an onion tart - Lovely

To be honest I didn't go much on the Hawthorn, very slightly nutty but otherwise just chewy greenstuff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive