Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Air Rifle
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 05 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks footprints. Still not done anything about this yet, but we are still reading lots of information. We have a FAC already, so adding another gun shouldn't be too much hassel.

footprints

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 05 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alison wrote:
Thanks footprints. Still not done anything about this yet, but we are still reading lots of information. We have a FAC already, so adding another gun shouldn't be too much hassel.

No hassle at all. The variation on your ticket will cost around £18

Second hand ruger 10/22 ( an excellent bunny gun) in fair nick
around £150 or less (maybe even with a scope) a bolt action for less. I am certain that you would pay more for a secondhand german air rifle and it would be heavier.

Also......... while checking out your link for bed and bacon, I see that you have a farm. Good reason in itself to own a firearm

If you go for the 22 rimfire make sure that you get one that is screwcut for the moderator (very important) and secondly ask to have a sound moderator added to your licence, as seperate permission is required from the police for a moderator. Forget to add it at this point will cost another variation fee later.

Also ask to to purchase 1000 rounds at a time cos its cheaper and be allowed to hold perhaps 2000 at any one time. Where I live the police will not give you what you ask for and will always push you down, but the above requestis not unreasonable and is actually the quota that I have for the rimfire at the moment.

I know you might say, we'll only use perhaps a couple of hundred a year, but once the level is set you can be prosecuted if you exceed it.
A man locally was successfuly prosecuted for possesion of 32 rounds of 22 more than was stated on his ticket. Bearing that in mind it is easier to tell at a glance that you are below your limit if its 2000 than if it was 500. You can buy cheap rimfire loose in boxes of 500. Will you tip them out and count them each time you want to make a purchase. Nah!

good luck

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 05 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info footprints, that's very useful to know. Do you know if police are less keen on a semi-auto than a bolt action these days?

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 05 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohouston wrote:
Dont use air rifles on live animals. See topic "Big Game" for more info.

I'm happy to debate this further if people think there is a good reason to.

To stand up a little for the air rifle there are many people who fancy bagging just the odd thing for the pot from their own garden or allotment. It such places it's often easy to get with 20 meters or less from your target so is a legal limit air rifle so bad? Does a .22 pellet have less energy than a piece of shot from a shot gun?

I must admit I wouldn't wish to try and shoot something at 50 meters like some of the 'articles' in the air rifle press state, but for closer range garden shooting should they not be used?

footprints

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 05 7:05 pm    Post subject: police. Bolt action/auto Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
Thanks for the info footprints, that's very useful to know. Do you know if police are less keen on a semi-auto than a bolt action these days?

As far as I personally experienced, there is no problem at all asking for or possesing a semi auto 22.

(I had actually typed an enormous reply to this question giving tips on storage ammo etc, when a member of the family asked me to find something on the web, and I accidentally closed downsizer and lost the page.
Now there's a stroke of luck. the boredom victim body count will now be smaller, and I can hang my anorak back on its nail.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 05 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foot prints,

It is not boring to me.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 05 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alison wrote:
It is not boring to me.
Nor me.

Having used a few .22 semi-autos does anyone know of a way of collecting the spent casings from the ejector? Having used a right handed rifle it's a little off putting having the casings ping past your nose, and painful when they hit something and bounce inside your shirt.

footprints

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 05 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
alison wrote:
It is not boring to me.
Nor me.

Having used a few .22 semi-autos does anyone know of a way of collecting the spent casings from the ejector? Having used a right handed rifle it's a little off putting having the casings ping past your nose, and painful when they hit something and bounce inside your shirt.

Yes I know what you mean about hot shell cases. You didn't say what rifle you were trying to find a deflector for.

I have done a quick search for a deflector for the 10/22 as butler creep do loads of bolt on goodies for the ruger and couldn't find any thing. I have the feeling that you will have to make something your self perhaps from a plastic ice cream tub. ( a gunsmith would make you something if you wanted to spend) I personall would have a play first or simply keep the neck of my shirt closed:-)

The do make shell case deflectors made for most of the military stylies
AR15/m16/ Ak etc etc, but then those cases are hotter for a lot longer.

When handguns were about, a woman shooter at the club was shooting a 9mm pistol when a spent ejected case went down the front of her shirt.
Everybody remebers the incident, everybody jokes about offering assistance to retrieve the spent case, but now I think about it nobody mentions whether she managed to keep the muzzle of the pistol pointing downrange during the event

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive