Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Tribe
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Author 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 05 5:01 pm    Post subject: Tribe Reply with quote

BBC2 Monday 21:00

From the review in the times:

"I've had such a mad year. I've hung out with cannibals, taken part in initiation ceremonies, taken strong mind bending drugs and had my penis forced back into my body"

A new 6 part series seeking out the world's six most remote tribes

Sarah D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 05 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting, and I saw a trailer on TV tonight. Not sure whether or not I "approve" though

tahir

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 05 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No me neither might be really really bad, I'll give it a go...

Sarah D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 05 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try the first one, just so I can have a real opinion.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 05 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fascinating.

Wonder what the veggies think shows something about peoples overwhelming desire for meat

Also rather demolished the idea of "tribal" people living in some symbiosis with nature, the shotgun had seeming enable them to screw up the deer population quite badly.

jema

snowball
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 05 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was quite fascinating but it also iritated me.
I would have liked to hear a lot more about how the society worked. What is the currency? how does the economy actually work? how is the meat divided up?
Yhe main question is how remote is this tribe in reality? They seemed to have access to western fashion etc, so how does that fit with most haven't even been to the next village, or we were the first westerners people here had seen?

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 05 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep,

Talking about the isolation of people in baseball caps, begs a little more explanation

There was a lot more going on there, than the program let us in on. it also really peeved me, the portrayal of the lone explorer, when obviously and okay they did just about mention it, there was a crew there, and the interaction must have been far more complex because of that.

jema

Sarah D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 05 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I really enjoyed the programme, and thought it was quite sympathetic to the people.
As far as I can see, the tribe can still be isolated, but have dealings with the outside world - vis. the baseball caps, etc. The electricty and road were at their request, and they seem to be taking their own time to choose what they wish to "import" from outside.

I can't equate the wearing of the baseball cap/ western clothes with the not going to the next village thing, though. I can't se how the two are connected; if there is no reason to go, then they won't. The only bit I turned over at was when they were about to hoist up the mithun for the sacrifice by hanging - Ethan (10) decided he didn';t want to watch that, but he was aware of what they were doing and why.
I thought we got a fairly good insight into the way of life in a programme of only an hour to try and cover a people that have been around for thosuands of years. I have heard of them and their area before, and knew they existed, but little more than that. I thought it was a fascinating insight into a tribe that still, for the most part practices animism - there are very few peoples left in the world today who do so.
I liked the chap who was doing it as well, quite personable - I thought he made a decent effort, and helped out as much as he could.
I will definitely be watching the next one. I would like to see more of these types of people before they and their way of life disappear completely.
Next week he visits the Suri people in Ethiopia.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 05 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was disappointed with the editing of the "hanging" scene.

I think it was drasticallly cut, and thus portrayed as a lot less unpleasant than it probably was. If we are adult enough to see this at all, the we need to see it as it actually is.

jema

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 05 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say I thought it was excellent, I would have preferred to see at least a two or three parter per tribe, I was very interested to see the impact of christianity and the marginalisation of the shaman. He handled it quite sensitively and it was evident that all involved felt a mutual respect by the end.

But what about the toilet pigs

Will definitely be watching episode 2.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 05 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
I must say I thought it was excellent, I would have preferred to see at least a two or three parter per tribe, I was very interested to see the impact of christianity and the marginalisation of the shaman. He handled it quite sensitively and it was evident that all involved felt a mutual respect by the end.

But what about the toilet pigs

Will definitely be watching episode 2.

2 or three times the footage would have moved it away from the "dumbed down" approach I think we saw. I think the guy himself must be quite amazing, very "emphathic" to get along so well.

Anyone else found themselves thinking of Lister and the Gelf wedding, during the initial ceremony I kept waiting for a daughter to be produced

jema

101'er

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 05 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree totally about how more airtime should have been shown of his time with the Adi - great show

Don't anyone miss next weeks. Looks like he tries the local acid and is off his face

Dead Bloke

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 05 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

101'er wrote:
Agree totally about how more airtime should have been shown of his time with the Adi - great show

Don't anyone miss next weeks. Looks like he tries the local acid and is off his face

oops that was me in "another" guise

blame the local hooch

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 05 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright DB, happy new year

Yup looking forward to whatever happens to him next week.

mochyn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 05 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more than a little worried about the mention of a tiolet pig: we don't get much TV reception here, so I didn't see the programme. Some of you know that Mochyn is Welsh for pig...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive