Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
storecupboard cookery
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 05 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonnyboy wrote:
Fiddlesticks Julie wrote:
I know what you're saying but.. when there is the opportunity to go out ( and those with kids will understand this one!) you tend to grasp with both hands!!

With you on that, if the food is good it's a bonus

But what about rounding up the kids putting them all in the motor, getting them out, keeping them under control, putting them back in the motor, getting home and waking them when you get them out etc etc etc....

joanne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 05 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is why if we go out for the evening it tends to be kid free and involves vast quantities of alcohol and the kebab/pizza option on the way home - The joys of having a nephew needing cash and willing to babysit

If we want a really good meal I tend to invite folk round and do a special - even though I say it myself my curries and chinese food are far superior to the local takeaway - I might spend all day making it and end up with the washing up but atleast I don't have to worry about kids and getting home

Joanne

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 05 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jocorless wrote:
atleast I don't have to worry about kids and getting home

Exactly

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 05 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually meaning without kids!! ( the one advantage of having an ex who has the boys every other weekend! ) We can take our boys out and they'll be mostly good - but then they're 5 and 8 so age does make a difference, I've done the baby juggling whilst OH eats bit, not relaxing. But it does get better honest!

Deedee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 05 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post made me sit and think scary really.My cupboards are always reasonably stocked up with baking stuff at least and so's the freezer,but I am sooo disorganised I never really know what I've got in so I think I might write a list like twoscoops did so I can make up meals from it rather than keep buying in more stuff we don't need,great tip that thanks thats definately saved us a few pennies this week

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 05 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deedee wrote:
This post made me sit and think scary really.My cupboards are always reasonably stocked up with baking stuff at least and so's the freezer,but I am sooo disorganised I never really know what I've got in so I think I might write a list like twoscoops did so I can make up meals from it rather than keep buying in more stuff we don't need,great tip that thanks thats definately saved us a few pennies this week

I did a radical reorganisation of our kitchen cupboards a few months ago, placing all the tins in plain organised view. It helped no end

jema

wellington womble

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 05 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit organised with this - I write a menu each week of what we're having when, and shop from it. I also have a list up on my desk of what is in the freezer (mostly meat, as it comes monthly by mail) as our big freezer is in the garden shed, so it's too much bother to go and look. I go out there and get what I need into the fridge freezer for the next week or so.

It's a fairly flexible, but we started doing because I was shopping as and when and it was costing loads - like 500 quid a month! For two people! and things were going out of date because I forgot to use them up on time.

Pilsbury

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 05 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick note on the bland potato soup about 20 posts ago, I know salt is made out to be the worst thing after fats but some things simply must be cooked with it and potatoes are one of them.
If you put a little salt in when you cook them then you can save 2 or 3 times that much by not adding it after, during the cooking the potatoes will absorb the salt so a little goes a long way adding it after means it is only on the surface and once the taste is gone you feel the need to add more, also in soups, where it is obviously not just on the surface, it hasnt had time to dissolve and spread out if you add it afterwards. It needs time in the cooking for the flavours to develop just like a chutney that is an hour old wont taste as good as one a month old.

Sarah D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 05 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been out about 3 times in the last 13 years as a couple, without the children. And, yes, I missed them. We have taken them all the times we have been out, and now have two extremely well behaved, courteous children who are interested in the food, the place, the menu, the ambience of everywhere we go. They very rarely go for what is offered on the children's menu, but will choose the acult versions every time, eat up every scrap and have a discussion about food quality, quantity, service, price, whatever afterwards.

Sarah D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 05 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, that's not an age thing; we've always done it.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 05 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't go out often, but we always take ours. My in laws find it strange we are not into the babysitting, going out thing, but there you go. I like them to be able to try things they may not have thought of before, and then there is no emotional attachment for the cook if they don't like it.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 05 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of this can be about where and how you take the time to nurture a relationship not just as parents, but as a couple. Some people choose to do this by getting out to restaraunts without the kids!
We do this occasionally. Probably 2-3 times a year if that

jema

wellington womble

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 05 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My BIL law has said no children for his wedding. I think that's really sad. I suppose you don't want them screaming during the service, but weddings are all about families. All of the parents I know would explain to their children how to behave, and take them out of they were too young to understand.

I want a whole bunch of children running around having a ball at my wedding. Himself and I have very similar ideas about weddings - mostly that they ought to be fun! This is odd, as we can't agree on bathroom tiles without a consellor!

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 05 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always think that saying no children at weddings is a bit bizarre. Ben got into a stew at one we went to so I just took him outside until he calmed down.

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 05 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really sad WW, I hate weddings without kids, our eldest two were bridesmaids twice in 2004 and were little angels both times

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive