Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
What are you doing to reduce electricity consumption?
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 06 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkey1973 wrote:
d the routers been switched off too for the last two days

hadn't thought about the router. Out of sight, out of mind and all that.........I'll try and remember tonight. Thanks for the reminder

Love your candle and firelight piccie

Penny Outskirts

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 06 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even a third reduction is pretty brilliant mg - just think how much electric would be saved if everyone in the UK did that!!!!!!!

It seems that it's the cooking, clothes washing and drying that are the real killers - and that's about being more organised IMHO. I baked a lemon yoghurt cake last night, and that took about three units!!!! Had I done it on Sunday whilst the oven was on for everything else, I could have saved that too!! The good news was that the dishwasher didn't seem to use much at all - phew!!!

Looks like I'm going to have to get much more organised with everyone's clothes, and find a way of drying them which doesn't involve the dreaded tumbly

judith

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 06 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penny wrote:
Looks like I'm going to have to get much more organised with everyone's clothes, and find a way of drying them which doesn't involve the dreaded tumbly

It's a lovely drying day here today. Sunny, with a good stiff breeze.

ken69

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 06 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quote from moon goddess..

I'd be really interested to hear what people's average bills (gas, oil, wood, electric etc) are. I was appalled how much mine was when I worked it out. We had used over #16 last week and I felt highly embarassed We never buy wood though, we always forage that, although we have run out, hence the electric blast this morning...........

#16, Moon...is this electric kwh??....
I ran a Rayburn for years (rusted away)with free wood from gardening, and wouldn't mind getting a small woodburner to help with the gas CH bills. One of those low sort that come out into the living room about a yard. £500 I think. Where do they get the prices from, can't be that much demand ??

bernie-woman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 06 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might sound a stupid question but a number of people have mentioned turning things off at the socket - do you actually save any leccy by turning your sockets actually off - i.e if a lamp is off but plugged in and the socket is on does that use any leccy and if you do how?

judith

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 06 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly uses leccy if there is a transformer. I would imagine not otherwise (but could well be wrong ).

Penny Outskirts

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 06 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

judith wrote:
Penny wrote:

It's a lovely drying day here today. Sunny, with a good stiff breeze.

I know - I will try to get some out later today, but when you're not at home, it's difficult to predict the weather Kids school clothes for example - have to be washed Friday/Saturday, ready for Monday - if it's a wet weekend, what do you do???

It's a matter of me being organised - which up till now I haven't been, and the price paid for that is higher electric use It's get my arse in gear time methinks!!

judith

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 06 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is difficult. With the weather as it has been for the last few weeks, we end up using the spare bedroom for drying - which means heating a room that would normally be left unheated. Swings and roundabouts I guess.

moongoddess

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 06 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ken69 wrote:
#16, Moon...is this electric kwh??....

Sorry ken - I can't find the pound sign on this keyboard, when I type it, it appears as a hash sign.

So to clarify - I spent 16 pounds on electricity last week.

We've run out of wood, so we were using electric convector heaters. I felt that 16 pounds was alot for us. We don't have gas in the village, so admittedly, it is all the bills we have, but I still felt it was a lot perhaps compared to others. (4 bed semi, 2 adults (here all day) and 1 child).

A small woodburner / rayburn would be good if you can still get hold of free fuel for it. I do see them advertised quite a lot around here second hand for about #100 - 200, but like you say, you have to make sure it isn't too old and about to rust away

Hope you find what you are looking for; perhaps buying in the summer might mean a better deal? We got around #150 off ours buying it 'out of season'

mg

moongoddess

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 06 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penny wrote:
Even a third reduction is pretty brilliant mg - just think how much electric would be saved if everyone in the UK did that!!!!!!!

Yes, I need to focus on that don't I? You know how it is - you just think of the tiny dent you are making as an individual, but forget about the collective sometimes........thanks for the reminder

Quote:
It seems that it's the cooking, clothes washing and drying that are the real killers

I don't have a tumble dryer, but I think I use a lot of hot water.....
You're right about organisation. Batch baking in the oven (although mine is tiny, so I'm not sure how to get around that!) is a biggie

Quote:
I baked a lemon yoghurt cake last night, and that took about three units!!!!

Wow! it's a real eye-opener this challenge isn't it?

Quote:
The good news was that the dishwasher didn't seem to use much at all - phew!!!

Oh, that surprises me. I was given a dishwasher 3 months ago and it's just filling a gap in the kitchen; I've never plumbed it in, figuring it would run away with the electricity..

Quote:

I dry mine over the woodburner and one of the best places it to put it along the banister - I can dry a king size cotton duvet cover over the banister in a day. If it's windy enough i'll put stuff out to dry in light rain and it still dries..........I find that the wind dries quicker than the sun on many occassions.

mg x

Anna-marie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 06 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the pub doesn't have a garden, I haven't had a washing line for three and a half years
Don't have a tumble-dryer either, so everything gets dried in the house - in an un-heated spare bedroom (none of the bedrooms here have radiators in them)
The main problem is drying OH's work clothes. He is away all week, so clothes get washed sometime over the weekend, but don't dry by Monday.
Solved the problem by having two sets! Even jeans dry before the week is out
All our wood is free, too. DH collects it in a trailer from the local docks. They have loads of good timber hanging about from when the steel is delivered.
Just goes to waste if we don't use it
Uses less than a gallon of fuel to get there, plus a little petrol in the chainsaw to cut it up.
Will last two weeks, heating the pub for when the customers come in.
Heats water in the tank, too, enough for a bath and for the rest of the following day.
Even when winter was at its coldest, I didn't bother with any heating for myself. Just made myself warm by keeping busy in the meadow, or walking the dog.
Washing machine gets put on at night, at cheap-rate electricity costs.
Anna-marie

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 06 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have started a couple of more obvious things today.

The dishwasher (I know, I know, but I am not giving it up with the amount our lot produce) is now packed to the rafters, instead of being run about 2/3 full. I have also been running it on the econ wash instead of the normal. The difference is slightly less temperature water, and no blow drying.

The washing machine has been run on one temperature programme less than I normally would use, therefore 30 for 40 degrees.

I have used the microwave a couple of times, but I then pull the plug out straight away so the cooling fan does not kick in for the following minute. We only use it 2 or 3 blasts a day so it can stand and cool, it doesn't need the fan.

Another saving has been we are going to bed about an hour earlier!!

Bugs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 06 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I had done this post before but couldn't find it

Apart from being fanatical about switching off lights (and we're not, in my opinion, compared to other people's houses we visit, particularly bad at this):

- put on washing as soon as we get in, meaning I can do a bigger load, because I can get it out to dry off a bit for a couple of hours rather than doing the radiator shuffle; already have it permanently on quick wash and either 30/40 degrees for most washes except towels and bedclothes, and already hang most things on hangers because we very rarely iron

- avoiding my afternoon tea habit, not out of hairshirtness but because I don't often drink the whole thing!

- very carefully measuring kettle water; min. marking is enough for one mug

- remembering to change in to scruffy clothes for the garden when I get in, so that I keep day to day ones cleaner

- getting on with things in the garden or the kitchen as soon as I get in so they are done while it is still light

- washing up saucepans by hand a bit more, which cuts down on the dishwasher use

- taking dinner out of freezer to defrost as soon as I get in so it takes less gas or warm water to get ready

However, I was away all this weekend and TD was working so a lot of our cutting down is probably false, plus the lighter days meant less need for extra lighting/heating. Even so such habits are useful to get in to.

Lozzie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 06 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the computer stayed off, along with its screen, speakers and printer.

The telephone answering machine stayed off unless we all left the house at once.

All of the clock radios were unplugged, and the tv, video and dvd player.

The microwave, dishwasher and washing machine were only turned on when required.

The oven was switched off so that its tiny little clock took no charge.

The heater in the conservatory was unplugged, and the children made to wear more clothes when playing out there instead (however this doesn't really count as the heater had not been used in the previous week to make a comparison by).

I fitted the SAVAplug to the fridge freezer in the kitchen (no, still did not manage to empty the freezer in the garage).

After dark we kept the lights off and the curtains open, finding instead that the ambinet light from neighbours' driveway lights and the normal street lighting was enough to function by, most of the time.

The kids read by wind-up torchlight, which they absolutely loved as you can well imagine.

The oil lamp was pretty, but also pretty useless - ordinary domestic candles threw much better light, especially when placed in front of a mirror.

I confess that husband and I watched tv for about an hour and a half each night (but we didn't read - did that duing the day, instead), and we kept one CD player going during the day to help amuse/chill the children as required.

I too was careful about what clothes I wore, so as not to add to the pile of washing that still had to be done. I tried using the hand-wash cycle, as it washes at only 30 degrees, but it didn't spin at all and the clothes were almost too heavy with water to hang up properly. Now, if I had had a mangle ...

Did as much as possible during the hours of daylight.

Defrosted food in the refrigerator overnight (helps the fridge to be more efficient). Then we would take food out and allow it to reach room-temperature before cooking it immediately - this seemed to reduce cooking time for things like sausages under the grill VASTLY.

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 06 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lozzie wrote:
II tried using the hand-wash cycle, as it washes at only 30 degrees, but it didn't spin at all and the clothes were almost too heavy with water to hang up properly. Now, if I had had a mangle ...

Have you got a separate spin-only cycle ?

The reason I bought my washer was that it has two dials - one for what kind of wash you want (quick / main / pre- / wool / spin-only etc), and one for what temperature you want to do it at (anything from 0 - 90 degrees). I fill mine from cold-only and wash usually at 30, very occasionally 40 for really really mucky, or 0 for relatively clean / wool / silk)

I'll be switching off my fridge-freezer, transferring the freezer contents to the chest freezer, and putting the fridge stuff in the pantry.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive